Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cel tutorial

+2
Aki11
AkieTara
6 posters

Go down

Cel tutorial Empty Cel tutorial

Post by Guest Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:08 pm

I saw Aki11's post on the IllustTeam's staff discussion area and thought I'd post a tutorial. It's not final because I'm not sure how the team wants the style to be.
But it's so easy you don't even have to know how to draw, ANYBODY can help with this.

I didn't know where to add this post, so I just added it here.
This tutorial is done in Photoshop Elements 3, but I'm sure it'll work with most programs.

Line art
This will probably be done by the Anim and Illust teams so I won't be too detailed. If you look around the forum, you'll see many wonderful sketches on Red. I just started looking back at the comic so I'm still getting used to him, so bare with me:

1) I started out with the resolution of the final product, in this case 1920x1080. So, on a new layer, I drew the sketch. (I never draw on the background layer)

2) Reduce the opacity of the rough sketch layer to around 20-30%. Add a new layer and clean up your sketch.

3) Reduce the opacity of the new clean up layer to 20-30%. Double the size of the image and using a hard brush at size 3 draw the line art. (zoomed) (final)

Coloring

1) Create a new layer and move it under the line art layer which should be at the very top. Now, if everything went as planned, this will be easy.

2) Using the paint bucket tool at around 150-200 tolerance, just click in the area with the needed color. Be sure to separate colors or important parts in different layers. (Here's where Photoshop Element's lack of layer group folders becomes a problem.)

2-B) Any less tolerance on the paint bucket will cause some spots being missed. So if it didn't work, here's an alternative. Use the magic wand tool. Select the area you want to fill. Go to Select>Modify>Expand and expand by 1 pixel. Then choose the lasso tool and right-click on the selected area. Then choose "Fill Selection" from the menu. Then just click ok.

3) Check if you missed anything by making a new layer under all of your layers, right above the Background layer. Then fill this layer with a bright color. The bright color will show through the parts you missed.

Shadows and Highlights

1) Add a new layer under your line art and above all the colors. The shadows will be drawn the same way the line art was and will be provided by the Illust and Anim teams. Color it the same way as you did the rest, but in black. Then reduce the opacity to around 10-20%. (final)

2) The highlights will be done the same way. Make a new layer above the shadow layer. Fill the lines white and the reduce the opacity to around 60-80%.

-Final Product-

Extra
Adding a film-like effect.

1) Flatten the image

2) Duplicate it twice.

3) Set the middle layer to "Multiply" and lower the opacity to around 50%. Then add a "Gaussian Blur" filter at about a 2-3 pixel radius.

4) Set the top layer to "Overlay" and lower the opacity to around 50%. Add a Gaussian blur filter at around 2-3 pixel radius. (Final) (zoom)
Play around with the blur and opacity of both layers to get different effects. (For those romantic moments)

That last part was not needed since it can be easily done in a film editor such as Adobe Premier after the animation is done. Which is better because there wil be a consistent look throughout.

So, that's it. Please correct me if I did anything wrong. And I hope it was helpful.

Back to top Go down

Cel tutorial Empty Re: Cel tutorial

Post by AkieTara Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:22 pm

I'm book marking this tutorial. I definitely learned something today. (Didn't know you could do that with the fill bucket)

Edit://

Tested out the tutorial on one of my characters. The results were great:

http://akie-tara.deviantart.com/art/Setaro-PokeSpe-Anime-Style-166700224
AkieTara
AkieTara
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Cel tutorial Bg10

http://akie-tara.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:24 pm

lol, thanks for the tut, I have no complaints about it cept for this project we are using 990X550 for the canvas size>W< (pardon me asking, but do you have skype? it'll be easier for us to organize meetings and distribute work and such if every member of the team has it. But if you can't download it/have problems with it, feel free to provide an alternate way to contact youC: post it in the skype/msn thread yea)

and i agree that using a filter by premiere or after effects would be better, tho, that last tip was useful nonetheless>W< This would prove very useful to the photoshop colourists me thinksC:
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Animation Team Animation Team Leader Cel tutorial Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyfulldreams Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Ohoho, using the gaussian blur trick huh? Well for lineart, we're taking a bit of a different approach because there's so much stuff to line, doing it all manually would be hell. XD Instead, I use the pen tool in photoshop, or the curve tool in Paint Tool SAI (amazing program, by the way.)
Joyfulldreams
Joyfulldreams
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Illustration Team Leader Administrator Cel tutorial Bg10

http://joyfulldreams.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AkieTara Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:06 am

@Joy:

Not all versions of Photoshop have the pen tool. I'm pretty sure if Guest has PS Elements 3.0. (I have 5.0, and still don't have a pen tool)
AkieTara
AkieTara
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Cel tutorial Bg10

http://akie-tara.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:51 am

Yeah, I don't have a pen tool. But is that the vector stuff? Those really look unnatural. That's why I use a brush that looks like a pencil, with jitter and stuff.

Quick question, does Red have an pokeball emblem on the back of his coat in this arc?

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 am

Yes Red dose have of an yellow pokeball symbol on his back. The symbol on his hat is black with a gold outline.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Voice Team Cel tutorial Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/SaiTurtlesninjaNX

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:50 am

@guest: that's what I thought initially too. But truth is, animation companies tend to use line tool for their animations as well, because it saves a lot of time when they are animating. You don't have to keep restroking to get the lines you want. Here's an example from toei animation, working on the anime one piece.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5kb9q_anntv-inside-toei-animation-pt1_shortfilms

furthermore, using linetool would also standardize the linearting process, you won't get overly thick or thin lines in different or same scenes and all. The lineart version of the intro was done using line tool in sai painter. It's really easy to use once you get used to it, and you can vary the pressure in it as well such that it doesn't look unnatural. This is extremely important because more than 1 person is doing this. different people use different pressure to draw and all, even if it's supposedly the same pixels. You won't get shaky lines or lines varying in thickness when using a pen tool.

and yea, red does have a pokeball emblem thingy on his backXD
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Animation Team Animation Team Leader Cel tutorial Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Passerby Boy Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:46 pm

whoa...that's a sweet drawing of Red ^ ^

Also, nice tutorial, although I'm not much of an artist...
Passerby Boy
Passerby Boy

Cel tutorial Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor-Leaf Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Am I the only one here that uses GIMP?
Razor-Leaf
Razor-Leaf
Hyper Supporter
Hyper Supporter

Fakemon Contest Cel tutorial Bg10