What to do with dead topics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What to do with dead topics

Post by Kazaazz on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Okay, I've discussed this with Aki a bit and I thought it would be a good idea if I created a topic here. I've been browsing this forum quite a bit recently and I've noticed how many topics need locking and/or deleting. It's most noticeable on this thread.
http://pokespeanime.forumotion.com/staff-discussion-f1/ You gotta SCROLL DOWN to see it, so it's rather understandable why a lot of people miss it. I noticed some threads in the suggestions thread as well need looking at. At time of writing, the admins Joy and Irisfate are unable to be as active as they would like, but even the moderators should be able to notice this and at least lock these threads which haven't been commented on or probably even looked at since DECEMBER. I understand that was around the time this site was created, the project moving from mangafox. However the site has evidently vastly improved since then, so many threads on the staff discussion forum weren't needed, which is why I asked Aki to lock them.

What I'm saying is that it would probably be helpful to newcomers in navigation when all the threads they see are ones that are currently being debated on and are being monitored/updated regularly and frequently commented on. I mean it wasn't until a week in until I saw that you can see the date at which the post was made. Yeah, I'm really observant >_>;

Of course, bumping the thread if it's important is something I support, but if it's really not wanted, like 'The Blood on the Floor Company!' thread in the staff discussion thread which is just advertising, it should be DELETED, not locked. To me it just seems like a waste of space on the database.

And I may seem harsh when I say this, but I think that should apply to rejected audtions as well. We shouldn't leave it open on the slim chance that the auditionee will bounce back with something totally amazing because if they do, they can always create a new topic if we delete the old one. Voice acting auditions are obviously exempt from this though, as most of them are ongoing stuff which could help out with future casting. But some audtions don't even supply stuff for us to comment on, so are also a waste of space. It is subject to variation though, like if an auditionee wants to help out badly, but gives us bad stuff. It's totally dependent on the auditionee's dedication really. However that's if we really have to go by the system of the auditionee editing posts. Editing posts doesn't update the date that the audition was made so it may unintentionally be ignored but if a new topic is made it's noticed near immediately. Judging from the state of the staff discussion though, it seems that deleting posts is something that's not done whatsoever. I theorise that it's because it's rather the forum was larger than smaller, but it'll be more organized if it's smaller and more easily moderated as we aren't exactly brimmming with manpower. Of course it could be that no one CAN delete threads and if that is the case there's even more reason to discuss it with the higher-ups.

But think about it. If we deleted rejected auditions, the auditions forum would only be filled be with the most recent auditions as the accepted attempts would be moved to the accepted auditions thread. That way I think we can monitor them all a lot more easily. And with the dead topics like the ones in the staff discussion forum, I just think that most discussion is done in the respective teams' forum as there's not much that can be applied to every staff member, except stuff like deadlines and the public.

Anyway, because I'm not a moderator I can't really have any authority around here much so I'll trust this to the admins/mods now and let you guys discuss it.

Kazaazz

Forum Team Music Team VA Critic

View user profile http://kazaazz.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What to do with dead topics

Post by dirksies on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Yeah, we definitely need a better method in dealing with dead or resolved threads. For dead topics, these one are the ones that are a) no longer relevant or b) just junk threads, they should be locked and potentially deleted depending on the natureot surea of the thread. For resolved threads, those should also be locked, but not deleted --we need to keep those for our records, and whatever was decided to be done with the issue, will be recorded in the title. For example "Staff only section of the Forums? --Yes, in development".

As for audition threads, I'm not about deleting them, but definitely we could lock the ones that the creator hasn't been on in awhile or hasn't had much acitivity (I'm talking months here). We would have to PM the author to make sure it's okay, and also to see if they're alive. This is mostly for the VA audition section. I'm not exactly sure how the other areas would work...

I think that's all you hit on...

Nothing's like before!

Question:What is man's relationship to nature? What would happen if you gave a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?

dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz on Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Well I never really wanted to touch the VA threads to be honest, as any audition, bad or good, could have the voice range we need. Of course if the creator is willing and all.

Another idea I have though, is definitely deleting duplicate threads. For instance Skotein's music audition is in the accepted audition thread, but it's still also in the composer audition thread. Sure it's locked and all, but I mean, what's the point?

But dirksies, we may have to be a bit strict here with our auditionees. Even if we send a PM to them in advance saying 'we would like to delete your thread because you haven't given us any new material' there's a good chance that they won't ever reply because they've been long dead and since we've gotta give them time to reply it'll just be a waste of effort. Just look on the list of members and there's so many people who have made accounts only to look at our progress. There are many forums where they delete inactive members.

I say any members which haven't contributed anything in six months should go. Being a serious ongoing project, six months sounds about right.

But for auditiion threads why lock them then? Think to the future, when we are successful/popular and we have many many auditions. (We will!) There won't be space and it would just be an unnecessary problem for everyone.

Oh, I'm rambling again >.>;;

Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:56 pm

I was just assuming that if they didn't reply within a certain time frame(a week or so), we would go ahead with locking/deleting their thread. I forgot to say that in my first post *shot*. And yes, definitely we should delete duplicate threads.

As for inactive members, I'm not sure what to do about that. There are so many members on this forum that have never posted once before, or have only even logged in once. I know, me personally, I like to lurk around for awhile before I start getting involved more heavily. I think we should allow a lurking period, but then I would like to see some input from the user. However it is really hard to make a rule out of something like that, and I think it would just be mean to ban people or delete their accounts if they don't post. I think sending them a notification would be best and then if they don't respond, we can delete their account.

For now, locking auditions would be best. We're not that big yet, we're still working on the first episode, so we'll hold off on deleting the old audition threads. Once we start cranking out these episodes and have secured ourselves something of a firm base of a lot of dedicated members in each division, then we can delete some of the older threads, but we're not at that point yet. We can always use those auditions as a reference point. I'm still mostly thinking of VA-ing though, so this might not apply to all areas.

Nothing's like before!

Question:What is man's relationship to nature? What would happen if you gave a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?

dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:26 am

Well, this does seem a tad extreme. I understand the purpose of it, but perhaps different approaches could be handled?

A long time ago, someone brought up the idea to ban the members who haven't posted at all, but we instead tried to coax some members out of their "lurking" habits, by initializing an "anti-lurking campaign" if you would. We did receive some participation from some "lurkers", but still, not what we were hoping for. Banning members could be classified as "unfair" to some users and may deter our best efforts.

And for deleting threads...Whilst the forum could use some clean up (which I am all for), this may be a tad harsh. I recall joy mentioning that all useless posts would be moved to the basket. (don't really know why though...perhaps if these topics are to be resumed for some reason? Or to help the newcomers understand which threads are unacceptable?) Sure, I know of some threads which could be deleted, but how would we judge the majority of them? By lack of:
-user participation?
-recent posts?

And involving the deletion of auditions, whilst I agree that voice acting auditions should be kept, I can't help but believe some others auditions could be kept as well. After all, styles constantly and consistently evolve to suit needs, and when certain critiques are made onto the audition, things can be improved, largely for the better. It is not all too rare that a past member may return to their old auditions for support and improvement, and it is also extremely common for users to "bump" their auditions to ensure review. Also, when involving recent auditions, when one is to enter the topic, the most recent auditions would appear at the top, and the most oldest would appear at the bottom. Even though it may seem unlikely, perhaps some users may return to the older auditions for help and understanding (although if that was the case, they could PM the heads or members, but I digress...) Despite all of this, I do, ultimately, see your point. And of course, locking auditions requests should be Pm'd to the auditionee to ensure justification and permission. After all, if they do choose to re-open the thread, it could be done. But even so, on the fact about locking/deleting auditions, I'm afraid I'm a tad iffy. (though I am more open to locking than deleting)

And if such treatment is enforced, than firmer guidelines would have to be made. (which again, I'm all for) but the harshness of our actions may come across as cruel and unjustified. Specific policies would have to be made involving such changes, which could deter the work of our veteran members.

Involving this...I don't know. Whilst I will still be supportive of these ideas and any type of forum clean up, I still feel that these policies should be utilized as a "final ultimatum", a last resort, which I'm not sure we're ready for.

My two cents. ^^

Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Forum Team Voice Team Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Supernova on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Hmmm, to begin my decision to begome more active again around here, I'll post my thoughts here.

Indeed, there are a lot of junkthreads around. When I joined, I didn;t bother to read most of the threads until they became relevant and just read what cropped up after I joined.

But we actually have a lot of junk threads and resolved threads. Of course, we can lock and keep resolved threads but I think some threads are of the nature that they ought to be deleted rather than kept, since they never served any real purpose.

As for auditions: in terms of accepted auditions, they get moved. I don;t see any reason, however, to delete rejected or abandone audition threads. They're not harming anyone where they are, and rejected threads can be locked (as well as possibly abandoned threads after a long time has passed with no explanation or the poster has not visited the forum for some long period [like, many months] with no explanation). that way, they stay towards the bottom of the subforum and people can pay attention to threads that need attention, i.e. the recent ones. Speaking from my own area, when auditioning to be a scripter, the best guidance an auditionee (?) can get is to read the auditions and the subsequent criticism supplied. Naturally, it is also helpful to keep many of the VA auditions, particularly seeing as a lot fo voices need to be deicided etc., and in all cases, I think that old threads can be a reference point in considering auditioning and assessing an audition.

I think, though, in terms of resolutions we've made on ideas here and there, a helpful thing to have (but an extremely arduous task to do) would be to have a thread to show what ideas have come up, what has been decided, and then link to the now closed thread(s) leading to the decision. That summarises, neatly, in one location, what ideas have already been suggested and the conclusions reached so newer members can have a look. As an afterthought, although it would take yet more work, a little summary of the arguments and the reason for the decision would be helpful for someone who doesn;t want to leaf through a huge thread of debate to find out why somethign was decided. But that seems extensive to the point of impractability.

Concerning inactive users: we have alot and it's been thrown around in discussion before, with no result. I agree it wouldn't be too nice to simply delete inactive accounts, but it would be best to contact (via e-mail?) people who ahve vanished without a trace or simply never posted, etc., with no given reason for absence. Should no reply be given over an extensive period of time, the account could then be deleted. Should we manage to get in touch with the person, we can then make a decision with them as to whether or not they actually want that account on this site, and then can delete it or leave it & encourage their activity as necessary.

Also, I feel the locked thread 'Main Discussion' in the 'Staff Discussion' forum needs to be unstickied, and this feels like the most appropriate place to point that out.

Supernova
Staff

Script Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephyr on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm a tad busy atm, so excuse me if this post is lacking Razz

I can honestly say that I get a bit frustrated having to sift through the useless threads. I might even go so far as to say that the majority are begging to be deleted. The matter of staff organization being such a hot topic lately, this goes hand-in-hand. We have less of a chance of our members being organized if the forum itself is cluttered.

A new forum Something must be done!

Zephyr
Team Leader

Music Team Forum Team Audio Team Leader Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor-Leaf on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:27 am

I think it's fitting to give a 3 week warning to the user before banning them.
If they have any interest in the project they will at least log in and check their inbox.
As for the threads, any locked threads that don't offer guidance or valid opinion should be deleted, eg; advertising.
and the auditions I think should stay. Even if the role is filled, it could be inspiration to new VAs.

Razor-Leaf
Hyper Supporter
Hyper Supporter

Fakemon Contest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Why does everyone prattle on about the VA thread? I NEVER said anything about touching that thread as everything everyone's said regarding that thread I agree on.

But anyway, after considering your ideas I think I'll say the ideas I think should be put into action regarding this stuff.
1) Any form of advertising and spam, should be deleted. This can apply to a thread or merely a post. Example: http://pokespeanime.forumotion.com/staff-discussion-f1/the-blood-on-the-floor-company-t4.htm
2) With any form of trolling, the user gets warned by PM and then if they ignore it, they're banned. (This may already be in the rules but since this is regarding inactive users I thought it sort of applied).
3) For any resolved threads in suggestions or problems/issues, they should be locked. Which is why I think Supernova's idea of creating a thread that covers the suggestions, whether they've been accepted/denied, stuff in progress and links to threads answering questions IS AMAZING. If it's a bother, I volunteer in making it! *waves frantically* MEEEEE! Of course, the management team can do it if they wish since it's their job, but...yeah, this is my thread so I thought I should volunteer anyway.
4) Kay now auditions. I guess I WAS being a little harsh in suggesting to delete rejected auditions as I suppose that future auditionees can at least see how NOT to audition then and they'll some examples that may inspire them. So no deleting UNLESS the auditionee gives us nothing to work with over an alloted time period, perhaps a month. Like these two threads: http://pokespeanime.forumotion.com/animator-auditions-f19/storyboard-auditions-t183.htm and http://pokespeanime.forumotion.com/illustrator-audtions-f5/line-art-audition-t580.htm Those at least should go.
5) However when the auditionee's work is rejected and it seems like they'll try again, or even if they don't, I also think there should an alloted amount of time such as a month before it's locked. This should probably be according to the auditionee's first post or the first post in which they sent us a link to their audition. Whichever's first.
6) Now, inactive users. There are hundreds of them and most people can agree we don't need them and we certainly don't want them. I still think their account should be deleted if they haven't posted in months...but I guess I'm kinda overruled on this one as no one seems to be directly supporting it. I'll treat this the same as the rejected auditions then - leave 'em be, as they're doing no harm.

Hmm, I think that covers everything. Oh yeah, stuff that no longer has any meaning to the forum of today. I still think deleted, but at least locked if not, if someone wants to keep it for the records. (Not I that I understand why but...)

Anyway, with this stuff in mind, Please someone, put them into practice!

Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Supernova on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Kazaazz wrote:Why does everyone prattle on about the VA thread? I NEVER said anything about touching that thread as everything everyone's said regarding that thread I agree on.
Because that's all anyone knows how to talk about :p

3) For any resolved threads in suggestions or problems/issues, they should be locked. Which is why I think Supernova's idea of creating a thread that covers the suggestions, whether they've been accepted/denied, stuff in progress and links to threads answering questions IS AMAZING. If it's a bother, I volunteer in making it! *waves frantically* MEEEEE! Of course, the management team can do it if they wish since it's their job, but...yeah, this is my thread so I thought I should volunteer anyway.
Since I came up with it, I feel obliged to help with that. I don't think the management team will be all too fussed if we do it ... other than scripting and Mylodon, is there actually anyone on the management team? O.O
And, hehe, I'm feeling happy my idea was good hehehe ;D

I generally agree with everything else in that summary. I think.

Supernova
Staff

Script Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:08 am

hm~ I'm one of the admins, even though i'm really inactive these days.. >.>
and i will start forum cleaning today. : D so please forgive me.. ;_;

As for deleting, i really don't like it. any topic, useless, accepted or resolved. I want to mention again to all mods, any useless topic that seems better deleted, please use the basket option. yes, i need them. (like maybe we need to ban someone we can use his/her spam topics as reference)

For auditions, hm.. those that do not follw the guidelines will be locked, so that other people can learn, what NoT to do.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. ^^
and oh yeah, the thread for suggestions, go ahead. Just make sure it's updated regularly or it'll be dead. dead topics are ugly. :/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:12 am

Woot! All is better! And to get you started how about you lock this topic?

Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 am

ezuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuQWQ*glomps* aww I missed having you here>W< glad yr back>w<bbbb

Aki11
Staff

Animation Team Animation Team Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:54 am

alright, topic resolved and locked. ^^
also aki get on skype nowww DD: i miss you toooooo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top