Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronically altered Pokemon voices

+7
Kellan
Supernova
TheViolentTomboy
Nol
Zephyr
dirksies
Kazaazz
11 posters

Go down

Electronically altered Pokemon voices Empty Electronically altered Pokemon voices

Post by Kazaazz Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Now, I remember at some point where we were discussing Mew's voice in that it should just be a bell effect or twinkling sound rather than someone saying "MEEEEEWWWW!" in a high pitched voice. And I think for the most part it was accepted, since it would add to Mew's mysteriousness at that point in the manga.

Well, here's where we can discuss that sort of thing some more. Even the current Pokemon anime doesn't do ALL of its Pokemon voices with just human voices. But because we're going for animalistic and the Pokemon aren't saying their name as much, it may be tougher to differ between similiarly rooted Pokemon, especially for Pokemon where their biology makes you think they would be mute, or where the biology is the same/similiar. Like plant Pokemon for instance. Or Magnemite/Magneton or any legendaries. You get the idea.

Since the audience has to be able to recognise Pokemon or at least tell them apart by their sound so they sound somewhat unique and stand out more, I had the idea of electronically altering SOME Pokemon voices or even creating them from scratch with a human base voice.
Now I'm unfortunately, ignorant as to the how... but I thought that this idea would at least be up for discussion, and I don't think there was any previous thread detailing this...so I put it up.

Of course though I am aware that it may be difficult for any VA hopefuls if we implant this idea. Which is why I think we should only do it for selected Pokemon and give the VAs the option of doing the electronics on these Pokemon only. After all, they may be amazing and surprise us with how well they can do with Pokemon without any electronics.

Soooo...LET THE DISCUSSING BEGIN!
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Forum Team Music Team VA Critic Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

http://kazaazz.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Electronically altered Pokemon voices Empty Re: Electronically altered Pokemon voices

Post by dirksies Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 pm

I think we already had a topic like this multiple topics, the most extensive one is in the VA section , but it would be nice to have one in the Suggestions and Discussions area too, I guess. =]

I definitely agree with what you're saying and I think it would be really cool to do some human voice-animal combos or what have you. I was listening to an audiobook where they combined a human yell with a snake hiss and a lion roar to create a really awesome effect, so i know it can be done. The main problem, though, is we don't really have a sound engineer, so most of what we do at this point is trial and error.

What we've got going in the audition section is good, I think. We're getting somre really good auditions of animalistic Pokemon that have potential in themselves. Really, whatever we can do set ourselves apart from the anime is cool.
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

Back to top Go down

Electronically altered Pokemon voices Empty Re: Electronically altered Pokemon voices

Post by Zephyr Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm

dirksies wrote:The main problem, though, is we don't really have a sound engineer, so most of what we do at this point is trial and error.

Sound engineer, we do have. That'd be me Wink The term you might be looking for is SFX artist. I had originally assigned Skotein the unofficial title of SFX Director, but as everyone knows and laments, he's not with us anymore.

As far as altering Pokemon voices, I feel that we'd really have to manipulate them a crazy amount for them to become something unique in the end. At that point, it might sound so distorted it wouldn't even blend in with the rest of the Pokemon world. It'd sound too out of place. To top it off, we'd be pushing our legal boundaries even more than what we already are (not like it matters at this point). Sampling is a grey area in fair use and copyright. If it were a completely original voice, then we wouldn't be on such a hot plate.

Then again, a true SFX artist could make the sampling work. Hell, they might not even need a sample to begin with.
Zephyr
Zephyr
Team Leader

Music Team Forum Team Audio Team Leader Administrator Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Eep! You are? Wow, sorry about that Zeph, I didn't know o.O

Anyway, yeah, I hadn't thought about that. It would probably be good if we mess around with copyright anymore than we are already...
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:46 pm

I think you mean DON'T mess around with copyright there dirks, lol.

But seriously, there was one in the VA section? I thought that was just on Mew's voice...I mean I checked and everything. Sorry about that.

Either way for Pokemon like Green's Porygon, it would have to be at least seriously considered. It may be a large matter of trial and error sure, but as long as we're in the originality boundaries for Pokemon voices, I don't think it should be that much of a problem. And I didn't know we had a mixer...awesome zephyr!

Anyway, what sort of Pokemon do you think this stuff could be applied to?
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Whoops, yeah, good call, Kaz! XD

It's alright, this discussion needed to be re-invigorated anyway...

As for what Pokemon should have special voices, well we're going to need to figure out something for a lot of the plant type Pokemon (I have no idea what sound a Bellsprout would make!). Geodude, Electrode, and Voltorb probably need something a little special...umm and maybe some of the bug Pokemon? Maybe we could make a team that goes out and records sounds. Perhaps if someone live by a zoo, they could record a lion roaring and use that, that wouldn't be messing with copyright, correct? We could also record trees or grasses blowing the the wind or something for the grass types. And we can use freesounds.com for noises too, right? I don't think those are copyrighted.
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:45 am

Have to be mega ultra super careful about background noise though when out recording. There's a few links to possible sound effects in the resources section though. Bug Pokemon, well at least for the 1st episode with Caterpie and Metapod, could have clicking the tongue perhaps? The in-game cry could always be helpful in this situation thoguh =D

Plant Pokemon though...a breeze in the wind would get old, and that's more likely to be used as sound effects rather than Pokemon voices.

What I'm more worried about Pokemon in which it would be rather difficult to come up with a unique sound as they don't actually say their name, examples being like Charizard, Lapras, Dragonite etc. I remember a Pokemon audition with a very good Charizard roar in, and the one with the current anime in has a little adjustment...so it's gonna be tough.
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Nol Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:24 am

For the electronic pokemon like Magnemite or Voltorb, sure, some static effect or some distortion could help add to their cries.

But for the rest of the pokemon you mentioned, like Grass-types or Bug-types, I'm sure people could voice them with reference to their in-game cries. Like a nasally "wah" for Bellsprout (ever see the South Park Movie? I imagine something like the "dying giraffe" sound, only higher pitched and faster Razz), or a cute squeal Caterpie, or a buzzy hum for Metapod. And back to the "plant" pokemon, it's not like any of them are just literally a plant, they at least have some creature-like features, so I'm sure we could come up with some sort of sound to come out from them.

And as for guys like Charizard or Aerodactyl, there's still lots of variance we could play with. Pitch is probably the biggest thing, but even the gruffness or smoothness of the voice can make a distinction (compare Lapras and Charizard in the anime, it's pretty clear which is which when just listening to their voices). Aero would be pretty high-pitched in comparison to Charizard, for example, and Gyara could be more air-y or hissy when growling, etc.
Nol
Nol
Audio Team
Audio Team

Music Team Illustration Team Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/Arcasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post by TheViolentTomboy Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Heck, for Voltorb and Magnemite, why not just use their game cries? I think that would really work out. The plants? Yeah, I got nothing.
TheViolentTomboy
TheViolentTomboy

Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Supernova Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Kazaazz wrote:

What I'm more worried about Pokemon in which it would be rather difficult to come up with a unique sound as they don't actually say their name, examples being like Charizard, Lapras, Dragonite etc. I remember a Pokemon audition with a very good Charizard roar in, and the one with the current anime in has a little adjustment...so it's gonna be tough.

Pitch and various sounds work ... Charizard would be ferocious growls and a roar with soem sort of growly sound in it (I don't really know how to describe what I mean, but something like a khh or a ghh sound from the throat while roaring, makes it sound fiery). Lapras could ahve things like whalesong, and a more high pitched roar for when it needs to be roaring. Dragonite could have unmdulating sounds (like Palkia's cry, i think? Maybe dialga's >.<) and some roar which doesn;t sound liek Lapras' but sort of similar. Okay, so there aren't huge differences, but they'd sound different.

Supernova
Staff

Script Team Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellan Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:13 pm

When I think of the anime using effects in place of voices I mostly think of the regi trio in one of the movies. Though I wouldn't have gone with those sounds as my first choice they have a sound that reminds me of a rave beat box type thing and something of a similar sound source would be interesting for the more strange pokemon that seem to have formed from inanimate objects.

I'm new so I think I'll go look up and read this Mew discussion.

edit: Oh my is three months too old? I wish there was a general time gap that could be used to determine a necro-post. It was right next to topics updated more recently too.

Last edited by Kellan on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Unsure if I necro-posted sorry.)
Kellan
Kellan

http://tewi.us/tegaki/dblog.php?u=120792

Back to top Go down

Post by whatthechuck3 Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 am

Its cool, it happens. Actually, I forgot all about this thread, so I might as well put my two cents in as well, lol. Are actual animal sounds subject to copyright? I mean I'm sure some of the Hollywood soundbites might be, but i dont see how someone could claim, for instance a lions roar (baring we don't use the MGM lion, lol). But I think this is definatey needed in some form...especially with the non-organic Pokemon. And it wouldnt really be that unfair in the va department if we're actaually mixing in their actual voices...unless anyone opposes to that, which we can ask first before casting if we do decide to go this route...
whatthechuck3
whatthechuck3
Team Vice Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Vice Leader Fakemon Contest Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:36 am

I know there's a lot of websites that have sounds for free (ie freesound) and VAA has a fairly substantial sound byte archive, so I don't think we would get into too much trouble with copyright in that respect. People post these sounds online specifically for others to use and as long as we cite where we got them from, it should be okay. I wouldn't be opposed to mixing in some type of sound with the VA's voice, again, as you said, for the inorganic Pokemon, but I feel like Kaz, Tweet, and Sai had a fairly length discussion about this in the last VA meeting. I don't really remember what was decided...

Guys?
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephyr Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 am

To answer your question chuck, yes, animal sounds can be subject to copyright. Not because of the actual sound per se, but because someone else recorded it. It's the recording, not the source.

I still vouch for finding a dedicated SFX artist. There's an absolute art to sound design. If you think about it, sound is one of the most overlooked aspects when it comes to media creation. It can really make or break the professional feel of something.
Zephyr
Zephyr
Team Leader

Music Team Forum Team Audio Team Leader Administrator Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke R Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Hello, first time here. (just registered) I don't know if this was already discussed but when I watched the preview of episode 1, I wondered: How does Charmander say its own name??? This only happens in that stupid Ash Katchum's animé so that the dumb children can learn the Pokémon's names. Pokémon's voices are the ones from the games, this mangá is based on the games. We need so much an animé of PokéSpe, please don't ruin it basing your work on the existing animé.

Duke R

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums! My name is dirksies and I am the VA head. Make sure you read the rules and FAQs and such to get familiar with how things work around here.

Now to address your question: "How does Charamander say it's name?" Well, how is easy enough to answer, first it says "char" and then it says "mander", but I think your actual question is why he does.

First off, the preview was just that, a preview. A LOT of the VA-ing was still in the works, not to mention the animation, so most of the voices you heard in the preview are going to be new takes from the same actors or completely new interpretations of the characters entirely, including the voices of the Pokemon.

We have addressed this issue in-depth in our VA discussion area and we decide quickly and unanimously that the Pokemon are going to sound more animalistic, basing their sounds off of real animals that the Pokemon are similar rather than saying there actual name. If you want to read more about this, feel free to check out the VA area here. You have to scroll down a little bit, but it's in the first post under the heading "Pokemon voices".

All in all, we are trying to remain as loyal to the manga as possible and I hope to see you around the forums!
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke R Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks for your answer.

Supposing Pokémon's voices are animalistic, and most animals don't speak/repeat human speech, my question was in fact how can an animal-like creature speak its name.

Anyways, it's good to know that this wasn't a final decision. Hope the best for this project.

Duke R

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Duke R wrote:

Supposing Pokémon's voices are animalistic, and most animals don't speak/repeat human speech, my question was in fact how can an animal-like creature speak its name.

That's an interesting question in itself (actually, now that I understand what you were saying)! You'd have to ask the original anime voice team that, though. *le shrug* I guess they were assuming that all Pokemon are part parrot and can thus imitate human sounds, which is just ridiculous. On a marketing standpoint, it does establish the difference between Pokemon and animals which hopefully makes the awkward issue of humans forcing creatures to fight for them less of a problem. At any rate, making the Pokemon says their names just comes out as being silly, so we decided to go with more animalistic/realistic sounds =]
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:04 pm

dirksies wrote:
Duke R wrote:

That's an interesting question in itself (actually, now that I understand what you were saying)! You'd have to ask the original anime voice team that, though. *le shrug* I guess they were assuming that all Pokemon are part parrot and can thus imitate human sounds, which is just ridiculous. On a marketing standpoint, it does establish the difference between Pokemon and animals which hopefully makes the awkward issue of humans forcing creatures to fight for them less of a problem. At any rate, making the Pokemon says their names just comes out as being silly, so we decided to go with more animalistic/realistic sounds =]

I'm one of the developer's of the method that we used for the pokémon Voices/sounds.

For the Pokemon says their names. It all depend on the pokemon. I have my guideline down below. But heres the quote on the name saying.

The Pokémon Saying there Names: I have heard animal before make sounds that sound like there talking. I had a cat who talk back. This is where my original idea for animalistic pokémon sounds came from. That I have harded animal make sound that sound kinda like there talking. One reason on how the pokémon got there names are from the sound they make. If you lisnen closely to them it's sound kinda like there saying there names but in way there not. So in a strange way my pokémon voices are saying there names.

I know I should be doing a video guideline on the pokemon voices but I been bezzis with work and stuff.

Spoiler:

If you have anymore question DukeR on the pokemon voices just feel free to ask me I do what I can.
I know I should be doing a video guideline on the pokemon voices but I been bezzis with work and stuff.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Voice Team Electronically altered Pokemon voices Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/SaiTurtlesninjaNX

Back to top Go down

Post by L100Meganium Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Not to resurrect an old topic, but on the subject of animalistic Pokémon sounds, is it not feasible that Pokémon could be named after the sounds they make, like the chickadee or the whippoorwill, and that it is our human spelling and phoneticization and terrible puns that makes it so "fake"? If we consider that theory, the Pokémon saying their names, or at least a vaguely similar sound, makes a lot of sense.

I am not, of course, suggesting that we just have people say the Pokémon's names for the voice-acting, but that incorporating the names into the various sounds is not necessarily a bad thing. A throaty, hiss-like "charrr!" sounds just as animalistic as a completely made-up noise, in my opinion. By the same rule, the anime voice for Charizard was actually lovely because it was a dragon-like sound that just so happened to sound vaguely like "zarrrr!" as in Lizardon.

tl;dr: I think using the Pokémon's names in their voices is fine as long as it doesn't sound like a human sound.
L100Meganium
L100Meganium

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:05 am

We actually seemed to have settled kind of along the lines of what you're suggesting, mega, at least from the lines I've gotten in for the first episode. Pretty much what the VAs have done is use the name as a base for what the final sound will be, but then branch out slightly to make it sound more animal like. I know we were leaning toward more animalistic noises initially so that it would emulate the game more than the anime, but I think we've found a nice middle ground. There's a section in the VA audition area in the guidelines thread that somewhat addresses this, if I'm not mistaken...

And of course, this can always be a work in progress. Where we get feedback from the first episode and keep working and crafting from there.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! >.< you had some excellent points =]
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by L100Meganium Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:32 am

Haha, quite all right! I've read the post you're talking about in the guidelines. I guess my reason for my previous post was that I wanted to explain why saying parts of their names could be biologically feasible as well as giving my own personal reasoning for doing the voices the way I do. I wasn't even expecting a response, so thank you for giving one! ^ ^
L100Meganium
L100Meganium

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down