Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Characterization

+7
WaniNoko158
Kazaazz
Mrtweetums
Mylodon
Joyfulldreams
ShenCS
dirksies
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Characterization - Page 2 Empty Re: Characterization

Post by Kazaazz Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:54 am

Oh thanks, I didn't notice. Characterisation is pretty important if we want to extend scenes a little, because a lot of it will be educated guesses on the character's reaction based on our own knowledge. Don't want to be OOC do we? But thanks for agreeing with my thoughts because there are similarities between Red and Gold but we've got to draw the line somewhere.
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Forum Team Music Team VA Critic Characterization - Page 2 Bg10

http://kazaazz.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WaniNoko158 Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I imagine Green/Blue (Oak's grandson) having Gary Oak's voice, but much calmer and and bit more snooty as opposed attention-wanting vocal and obnoxious.
WaniNoko158
WaniNoko158
Voice Team
Voice Team

Characterization - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:55 pm

I imagine Green having a voice like Sasuke from naruto, Blue voice sounding like Kim Possible, Red voice to sound like Tai from digimon, and Yellow voice sounding like a cross between Sakura from cardcaptor and Kari from digimon.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Voice Team Characterization - Page 2 Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/SaiTurtlesninjaNX

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:59 pm

That doesn't really mean much to someone who will never ever watch Digimon ever ever again. But for Green to be Sasuke...NO. Absolutely NOT. Green is meant to be more cocky, more confident and definitely not as deep as Sasuke. I think whatthechuck's voice for him at the moment suits him just fine. *gives compliments to every other voice actor on this team*

Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:05 pm

Argeed whatthechuck's voice for Green fit him more.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by FaisLittleWhiteRaven Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Characterization, huh..? Well, may as well put my two cents up here as well.

Red (extrovert): At first, a little reckless and prideful, throwing himself into situations just to show off/be tough. Has a deep kind-hearted side though and is considerate when it comes to people's feelings. Later (FRLG) becomes much more calm natured and (thick-headed) wary, actually realising just how many people rely on him. Still pretty stubborn and brave though.

Green (introvert): ...Reminds me of a Samurai... (>/w/<)
Umm... A little arrogant and cocky in the begining, he's still thinks before he acts and gets annoyed when other people don't do the same, as well as at people who lie to or trick others.
Has a lot of pride and faith in his own abilities.
By FRLG he tends to follow Red's lead a little more, and doesn't speak up unless he feels that it's something the other's should hear, but he still has his 'rivalry moments'.

Blue (introvert): Tricky and loves to pretend she's like one of those 'sexy, ruthless spy-girls' from James Bond but deep down is actually pretty kindhearted and calm. Not above tricking people (in order to protect them... or steal their valubles), and in later arcs seems to enjoy mothering some of the younger characters a bit (like Silver, Yellow, etc). Seems to be acting more honestly from FRLG onwards.

Yellow (introvert): A little timid and naive but very stubborn when she needs to be. Tends to just go with the flow of things, unless things get violent, in which case she'll fight back big time. Probably a little spacey sometimes. Tends to idolise Red, Green and Blue, but mostly Red. ...She reminds me of Sakura from CardCaptor Sakura... ^^;

Gold (extrovet): Reckless and extremely stubborn. He's the 'live in the moment' type, and mostly does only what he wants, regardless of anyone's feelings about it (yet got amazingly upset by Prof.Oak not giving him a title...). Is sometimes oddly calm in life or death situations (...I get the feeling sometimes he knows how reckless he's being but will risk his life anyway because he considers the price worth it...)
Seems to be a bit more considerate when it comes to pokemon and little kids though, or people he thinks are having a rough time. I think he likes to think of the Pokedex holders as a large extended family or as a group of homeroom classmates, because of how he refers to the all by nicknames or honorifics (Sempai 'senior' and kohai 'junior').

Silver (introvert): Very, very intense. Like Green, he seems to have a strong honor code but will break his own rules if he thinks he needs to. Also like Green, Silver prefers to think things through before acting on them, but when he gets worked up he's even more headstrong and reckless than Gold. Only close to Blue (and maybe Gold) in the begining, he starts to open up a little more in FRLG... I don't think even Blue knew how stessed out (...emo >D) he was about the whole 'raised in darkness' thing.
Completely and utterly idolises/adores Blue, no matter who you ship him with.

Crystal/Kris (extrovert): Honest, hardworking and a little serious sometimes... She gets a little too bossy when worried and gets really annoyed by Gold's laidback personality, but she cares for everybody around her more than just about anyone else. ...A real stickler for the rules. I guess she's a little tomboy-ish as well but really she just strikes me as the 'too sensible to be fancy' type.
--------
I might do so more on the others later but I don't have time now. Sorry.^^;
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
Staff

Illustration Team Voice Team VA Critic! Characterization - Page 2 Bg10

http://faislittlewhiteraven.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:29 am

Yeah, those are some very on the spot remarks. I just really made mine in relation mainly to the R/G/B Arc, since that's what we're working on at the moment. These kinds of guidelines which be good resources for scripters.
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:38 am

Here's my problem with Ruby & Sapphire. This isn't a problem with them as characters but problem I had reading the manga. As I was reading the manga Ruby & Sapphire didn't feel like 11 & 10 years olds. They felt like teenagers like as lest 2 to 3 years older then the manga they say they are. Did Hidenori Kusaka forgot he was writing 2 kid that are 11 years old not 12 & 13 years old. To me Sapphire felt like she ward 12 or 13 not 10 and Ruby felt like he was 13 or 14. Ruby DID feel like/I think he was going thouth puberly. Sapphire was going thouth physical changes and starting emotion.

Ruby did not come off as gay to me. He came off as a kid that is dealing with a lot of problems. I see him talk like a normal heterosexual male when dealing with his problems and only specking gay when he showing off. But can see is normal voice being like a normal teenagers. Sapphire I can stell see Sapphire sounding like her anime counterpart but more anger.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:55 am

I know what you mean. A lot of the characters act more maturely than a 10 year od would normally be supposed to act. But then again, the Pokemon world of the manga is a pretty dark palce. Red, as most of the other dex holders, started on his journey at 10 year olds (that's wandering the world, by himself, without any adult supervison at TEN) and he has to grow up really fast. Red had to deal with a crime organization and an evil league of super trainers, both who were not afraid to kill him, all within being 10-12 years old. These kids all kinda have to grow uo fast.

In a way, Ruby and Sapphire both forced themselves to grow up (after facing the rogue Salamances). Sapphires forces herself to be a better trainer and Ruby becomes driven in his own quest as well. I mean, this is still Pokemon, but it's also a pretty dark world.

Not to mention that the Japanese media in general have a higher opinion of what is appropriate for kids (take Detective Conan, for example).
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic Characterization - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Yeah, I agree with Dirksies on that. In the western world the age of 10 is still pretty innocent. But the japanese grow up a lot more quickly. Just look at anime. Most of our shows are live action and if they were drawn, they're for kids and meant to be funny and cartoony. But in Japan they add real violence to this and many mature issues although it's not like they're seeing it live, so therefore it's not that frowned upon, because it doesn't look real. Look at One Piece. That has a real kiddy art style but the amount of blood is nothing to sniff at with it being rated Teen.

So I guess when it comes to Japanese children, they have to automatically act more maturely than their age, but I don't think it's just the media. The Japanese rarely have more than 2 children. These children are going to inherit a lot, as (usually) their father and mother are working so it's kind of required for them to think for themselves early on, as they have a lot more responsibility.

...well I think maybe that's why. It's a cultural thing I guess.
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghostgirl21696 Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:04 am

@FaisLittleWhiteRaven The characterizations you gave seem, at least in my opinion, pretty bang-on.
It also seems that my personality is like a cross between the G/S/C trio's.
That might be why they are my favorite characters Rolling Eyes
As for the "responsibility" issue, it always seems that characters in animes are older looking than they are. So yeah, in agreement to Kazaazz, it is probably a cultural thing.
Ghostgirl21696
Ghostgirl21696

Back to top Go down

Post by FaisLittleWhiteRaven Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:53 am

It is a bit of a cultural difference.
Japan's always had the attitude of not hiding any sort of real life situation from their kids and teaching them from a pretty early age how to study so they can one day inherit the family business or get into a good school later on. ...and of course, failure is not an option... Japan also has one of the highest rates of children suicide rates. There's even a word for a type of it: Ijime, suicide among school age children from being bullied. Hard not to be a bit more mature when there's at least one person commiting suicide in your school a year...
---------
Sorry about that... I'm really into studing Japanese culture... ^^; Anyway, next few characters... I haven't read the R/S or Emerald arcs in a while but I'll see if I can remember them ok or not. And, I haven't gotten all the way through the P/D/Pt arc either so year...

Ruby (Introvert): At first extremely vain and fixated on apperences to the point of putting himself and others at risk, he is quickly shown to be at least a little compassionate (when he's not being self-absorbed), as well as a bit of a closet-battler (he knocks out Seviper after Saphire collaped). Has an extremely complicated outlook on events and can be so self-absorbed sometimes he acts cruelly towards others without even realising it. Is very stubborn and seems to resent his dad a bit for not allowing him to do contests. Has an almost femine attitude but (probably) not gay~ XD
Eventually learns from some of his mistakes but still suffers contantly from being in his own world... (Like locking Saphire in a car during a flood to protect her. WTH..?) Shown to suffer a bit from guilt in the later part of the arc, and to have once been very fond of battling before a certain incident with a Salamance...*cue dramatic music*
Looks down on Saphire in the begining mostly because of how wild she is, but later comes to respect her (on some things) and realises she was the girl he was knew all those years ago.

Saphire (Extrovert): Wild and implusive, though nowhere near as reckless as Gold, Saphire seems to get so into pokemon battles that sometimes she does more fighting than her pokemon. Seems to have a great respect for nature as well as a great understanding of it, yet for some reason gets really upset when people do something that she reguards as 'evil', like Ruby not helping out Hoenn when he had more than enough battle ability to. Finds Ruby to be very shallow and arrogant, though she was very flattered by what he wrote on that piece of paper he left with those clothes he gave her ("I'm sure you will look nice in them"), and well, everyone knows about her epic confession, right?
Not-so-secretly idolises Red for his battling skill and wants to become even stronger than him.
Does not have a good idea of social norms (like why you're meant to wear clothes) and completely disregards anything she deems as unnecessary, prefering to rely on her instincts rather than technology.

Emerald (Introvert): Stubborn and very... unique, most of Emerald's personality is based around his inferority complex regarding his height. He hates people thinking of him as small because of being bullied about it once before, and does everything he possibly can to make himself seem taller. Has a lot of pride and is very compeditive, but also has a more innocent childish side which comes out mostly in his costume designing skills and how he tries to deal with problems; like yelling at Jirachi to open it's 'third eye', and when that doesn't work, yelling even louder.
Mischievous, and doesn't seem to respect authority much; though he idolises Crystal because of how honestly hardworking and nice she is. ...Seems to have similar problems to Saphire when it comes to acting normally in public (though personally I think peeing off buildings is worse in that respect that acting a bit savage). Smart and good at thinking up plans when given specific rules; doesn't seem to be quite as good at thinking on his feet. Occationly seems to have trust issues, and doesn't seem to care what people think about his personality.

Pearl (Extrovert): Very hasty and has little to no patience, Pearl relies heavily on Dia to keep him from panicing or rushing off and forgeting what he was trying to do in the first place. Relies mostly on instinct and when questioning something (like who Platina is) goes with the first idea that pops into his head. Not actually all that reckless despite his hastiness and will warn the others of a dangerous situation when he sees one. Has a short temper but rarely stays angry for long. Stubborn but easily distracted, and very inspired by strong willpower.
Is often annoyed by Platina's obvious denial about laughing at their jokes and her stubborness, but seems to really respect her encyclopidia-sized knowledge, as well as her fierce determination to the point he acted like he was betrayed when she said she was going to quit the super contest. Aparently never gives up on something once he's decided on it. Both he and Dia love doing their manzai acts. Apparently he hates it when girls scream or cry (according to what he says when they go in Eturna forest).
Treats Diamond almost like a brother and while he gets a little annoyed by how spacey he is (the times he hits him in the manzai acts don't count as they're staging it for laughs) but really seems to admire how Dia can always stay calm and how he thinks things all the through and completes whatever he sets out to do. Accidently disregards his opinion a few times, eventually leading to Dia getting upset with him. Only calls Dia 'Diamond' when he really wants him to pay attention to whatever he's talking about.

Diamond/Dia (Introvert): Very calm and relaxed most of the time, Dia seems a bit slow or spacey at times but luckly has Pearl to help bring him back to reality. Dia can be easily surprised (usually by one of Pearl's snap decisions or Platina's standards of a 'normal' amount of money) but according to Pearl, never gets angry. He does get a little upset at times though. Loves food, and loves to make food for others. Is easily the most honest person in the group when it comes to his emotions, and when he decides to think about something, he will spend hours just slowly working it out until it all makes sense. Both he and Pearl love to do their comedy routines, though Dia does say he wishes Pearl wouldn't hit him so hard when they do them. He's also a big fan of a curtain comic/cartoon but I can't remember the name... ><;
Dia really doesn't like it when people act cruely towards others, but still doesn't seem to lose his temper over it.
Greatly admires Platina for her intellegence and gracefulness, and quickly figures out she's not a tour-guide lady.
Has a brother-type relationship with Pearl and greatly admires his willpower and energy. He doesn't mind when Pearl gets worked up and starts yelling at him but he does eventualy get upset when he thinks Pearl is trying to make his decisions for him.

Platina/Missy (Introvert): Always dignified and always graceful, Platina seems to have a ridgid self-govoiring attitude and rarely shows her emotions; or at least, rarely shows emotions she seems to think are unbecoming such as laughing or hesitation. Hates to be unable to do things other can and is very interested in learning things through experence rather than just through books. A little reckless when she's being stubborn and cannot stand being losing. Has lots of pride... Is also very considerate of her companions though because she believes they're her servants for most of the arc she does boss them around a bit. Knows little about the world other than what she's read so she tends to be a bit naive or too literal with some words. (Like actually having 1million on hand to give to Pearl if he 'fined' her for losing.
Admires Pearl for his determination and Dia for his gentle personality, and (not so)secretly loves to watch their manzai acts.
Occationally shows emotions such as cheerfulness and curiousity.

---
...And that's all I can think of. I need to re-read these arcs sometime; I get the feeling I left out a few important details. ^^;
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
Staff

Illustration Team Voice Team VA Critic! Characterization - Page 2 Bg10

http://faislittlewhiteraven.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:21 am

Ah that was absolutely fine FLWR, you got all the important stuff and I when I was thinking about their characters, I realized I didn't even know half of what you did. I think I need to re read those chapters too. Shame we don't really need to worry about these guys for a while, but it's good either way. I WOULD put some stuff about Red in relation to the R/G/B now but I really can't think of anything to add to my previous post. It doesn't seem there's much more to add to this thread is there?

But it is pretty important that the scripters, when writing extra lines/scenes they stay IC as much as possible and take a step back to realistically consider whether the character would actually say those lines in that way in that situation. It's gonna mean a lot of debates that's for sure.
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by daryy Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:32 pm

I make sure about this.I absolutely do not believe that Giovanni has those healing powers. It wouldn't make sense at all.

I think that Silver has a crush on Blue. I do not feel that Blue sees him as more than a "little brother".

daryy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:55 am

daryy wrote:I make sure about this.I absolutely do not believe that Giovanni has those healing powers. It wouldn't make sense at all.

I think that Silver has a crush on Blue. I do not feel that Blue sees him as more than a "little brother".

About Giovanni, although it's true he came from Viridian Forest/City, it doesn't automatically mean he has the healing powers like Yellow and Lance. It's actually mentioned within the story that it only happens once every other generation. Besides having those powers would kinda mess up the FR/LG storyline quite a bit.

As for SilverxBlue...chosenshipping right? Well regardless of whether or not Silver actually has a crush on Blue the only thing we can really rely on is the manga. We're not going to make filler episodes whatsoever so we won't have any such instances where we'll wonder whether Silver is reacting correctly with relation to Blue, or vice-versa. We may add a little more to the scenes, but as long as it stays all in character all should be good.

Besides I'm more of a SoulSilverShipper...>_>
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: