Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Manga Translations/edits

+2
Aki11
videofan9864
6 posters

Go down

From Manga Translations/edits Empty From Manga Translations/edits

Post by videofan9864 Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:29 am

I know that the scriptwriters write the script. But exactly from what translations do they base on? As I recall there are Viz, Chuang Yi, and the um Dragon Guard translations. Now please correct me if I'm wrong but did chuang yu only start from volume 8? Now are we basing our translations on Viz? If so I think we should change on some of the words. Because some translations on Viz sound a bit cheesy. Maybe we should use Dragon Guard's translations instead for RGB and Yellow Arc, they don't flip the pages too.
http://www.onemanga.com/Pokemon_Special/

Also about the edits? We are not holding back on how the japanese version does it right? On some versions I heard a few scenes were edited and the dialogue changed. Examples are:
1. Arbok Split in half
2. Blue's pokeballs scene
3. Magmar scene
videofan9864
videofan9864

Forum Team From Manga Translations/edits Bg10

Back to top Go down

From Manga Translations/edits Empty Re: From Manga Translations/edits

Post by Aki11 Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:20 am

ah, I'm also thinking about that. Because I'm not sure which are the ones which were flipped<A< And I think the dialogue for the anime won't be exactly the same as compared to the manga. There would be changes here and there to ensure flow in the story^^ As for the edited scenes and dialogue, I guess we could ask joy to look at the raws and help us with it. Or would everyone rather edited/cut off scenes to remain cut?
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Animation Team Animation Team Leader From Manga Translations/edits Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by videofan9864 Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:54 am

Aki11 wrote:ah, I'm also thinking about that. Because I'm not sure which are the ones which were flipped<A< And I think the dialogue for the anime won't be exactly the same as compared to the manga. There would be changes here and there to ensure flow in the story^^ As for the edited scenes and dialogue, I guess we could ask joy to look at the raws and help us with it. Or would everyone rather edited/cut off scenes to remain cut?

Well I think the VIZ translations start as a regular book where we read from left to right and the dragon guard translations follow the japanese from right to left. In order to avoid confusion, we should follow how the japanese do it because its the right thing. One example for confusion would be on yellow saga, The red band on Red is on his left thigh because of the flipping, it changed to his right knee.

I think we should also not edit anything. The dragon guard subs also doesn't edit I think.
videofan9864
videofan9864

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyfulldreams Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:16 am

Dragon Guard scanlations just uses Japanese raws that they find on the internet, not scan themselves, edit it, and then typeset using VIZ's translations. >.>;

But sure, you could always ask me to try and translate things. I'm not as good as VIZ though. They make the English lines seem actually...English, with slang and everything.

But if we do use VIZ, then we most DEFINITELY should change things up a bit. There are some parts where I think different lines would be better for the anime, and if everything was EXACTLY THE SAME...it would be way too predictable. XDD
Joyfulldreams
Joyfulldreams
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Illustration Team Leader Administrator From Manga Translations/edits Bg10

http://joyfulldreams.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ama-chan Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:08 pm

I agree, we should not make everything exactly the same. I think using some of the english names (ex: Prof. Oak, Misty, Lance) would also be easier. If we were to use the Japanese names, we'd also probably need to use the Japanese pokemon name... Eh, I wouldnt mind that too much, lolz.

I'm sorry, but I sorta vote Chaung Yi. Their translations are really good as well, and if you got to onemanga or mangafox, I believe both use diffrent translators for certain chapters... -.-; Sorry, just a short personal position.
Ama-chan
Ama-chan

From Manga Translations/edits Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by videofan9864 Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Ama-chan wrote:I agree, we should not make everything exactly the same. I think using some of the english names (ex: Prof. Oak, Misty, Lance) would also be easier. If we were to use the Japanese names, we'd also probably need to use the Japanese pokemon name... Eh, I wouldnt mind that too much, lolz.

I'm sorry, but I sorta vote Chaung Yi. Their translations are really good as well, and if you got to onemanga or mangafox, I believe both use diffrent translators for certain chapters... -.-; Sorry, just a short personal position.

They do? Even if its the same company they still use different translators? That makes sense. But did chuang yi just start on vol 8 or did they start on vol 1?
videofan9864
videofan9864

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:20 pm

videofan9864 wrote:
Also about the edits? We are not holding back on how the japanese version does it right? On some versions I heard a few scenes were edited and the dialogue changed. Examples are:
1. Arbok Split in half
2. Blue's pokeballs scene
3. Magmar scene

I think in the newer viz translations, they keep arbok and magmar, but change the pokeballs scene.

I would really prefer to use the unedited versions. Aren't we doing this for the fans? And wouldn't the fans want to see the original unedited product? If we were to use viz's version, we would be no better then 4kids, by toning down scenes in the manga for 'kids'. (ok, maybe we wouldn't be like 4kids, but thats a generalization)

If using viz becomes ABSOLUTELY neccesary, i would vote for the newer viz translations, instead of the older ones that cut out importnat material. But of course, overall, i would just use the fan translated version. After all, this is a fan project. We shouldn't use Viz's version.

As for the edits, I think we should just stick to Dragon-Guard but perhaps change dialogue that ought to be changed.
Mrtweetums
Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Forum Team Voice Team Administrator From Manga Translations/edits Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:19 am

I dont want Viz's translations D8
and if DragonGuard uses Viz's, then dont use it. >.> Viz makes everyone sounds bratty and.. wrong. :/

Back to top Go down

Post by videofan9864 Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:26 am

irisfate19 wrote:I dont want Viz's translations D8
and if DragonGuard uses Viz's, then dont use it. >.> Viz makes everyone sounds bratty and.. wrong. :/

You guys might call me poll happy but how about voting on which translations to use? Chuang Yi, Viz, Dragon Guard or the new viz.

I think dragon guard uses japanese raws themselves. Cause the translations are different and the sequence is read exactly like a manga (from right to left). In irder to avoid confusion with the flipping and stuff I prefer the dragon guard subs.

Does chuang yi start at volume 8?
videofan9864
videofan9864

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 am

Well, solution for this is that we base it off the one that is not flipped, dialogue wise, we'll improvise. Hows that?
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by videofan9864 Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:50 am

Aki11 wrote:Well, solution for this is that we base it off the one that is not flipped, dialogue wise, we'll improvise. Hows that?

Ok you guys are boss Very Happy
videofan9864
videofan9864

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:23 am

Not flipped, and not Viz. Then I'm happy~ pikachu
I think DragonGuard used Viz at first, then change? because I remember in Yellow Arc, Yellow addresses Green as Green-san, and the dialogues are different too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:42 am

videofan9864 wrote:
Aki11 wrote:Well, solution for this is that we base it off the one that is not flipped, dialogue wise, we'll improvise. Hows that?

Ok you guys are boss Very Happy

no don't say thatD: We're all friendly people who are open to suggestionsXD we won't bite (at least for now<W<*shot*)Very Happy

and what i said just now was also just a suggestionXD
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyfulldreams Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:09 am

If only I could find some raw manga of the first volume...Then I could see if VIZ has the character's personalities down.

Personally, I think VIZ's translations are awesome. They are very professional and I would want to use a script based on it.
Joyfulldreams
Joyfulldreams
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ShenCS Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:13 am

Personally, I grew up with the Viz translations (with one of the little adverts getting inside the page first getting me hooked on J-music), so I'd always be using a script based on that. Also, they didn't edit out the stuff you mentioned. At least, not in my books. Arbok getting cut in half was one of the most awesome parts of my childhood.
ShenCS
ShenCS
Script Team
Script Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 pm

ShenCS wrote:Personally, I grew up with the Viz translations (with one of the little adverts getting inside the page first getting me hooked on J-music), so I'd always be using a script based on that. Also, they didn't edit out the stuff you mentioned. At least, not in my books. Arbok getting cut in half was one of the most awesome parts of my childhood.

The older ones didn't, but the newer ones did. Do you have pokespe in volume format, or kinda a magazinish type thing?

If it's magazinish type booklet, then this is way before viz decided to edit stuff out of pokespe.
Mrtweetums
Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Forum Team Voice Team Administrator From Manga Translations/edits Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by videofan9864 Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Oh one more thing. How about the name translations? I mean on one version Red uses nicknames on his pokemon, while the other he's not. On R/S Courtney is also named Marge and FRLG that guy coronis from serebii named Carr as Jagara, Orm as Orca and Sird as Storc.

In honest opinion I really think most people on serebii are jerks so I don't want to give them credit. But what do you guys think is appropriate for different version names?
videofan9864
videofan9864

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 am

i think the pokemon should have nicknames from the beginning ^^ in episode 1 we should start using Poli. less confusion and i like their nicknames. kinda gives a unique feeling for pokespe. xD

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 am

I agree, I think nicknames should be used as wellC: You don't see the pokemon anime doing that, it kinda like what sets us differently from them and all:3
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyfulldreams Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:54 pm

As for the different character names, if they have counterparts in the game, we should use those.
Joyfulldreams
Joyfulldreams
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:07 pm

This part's far fetched I know but joy you meant like calling the plump guy scott like what he's being called in the game rather than furge (the name for him in the chuang yi translations) right?
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyfulldreams Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Yeah, pretty much...I don't know what the context your are using is, though.
Joyfulldreams
Joyfulldreams
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:34 pm

ah, sorry my english is kinda screwed up at that time>A> only slept 3 hours... (not that my english was good to begin with anyway*shot*)
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Ama-chan Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 pm

I agree, use the names from counterpart characters with their English tranlation game names. The manga is based on the games afterall.
The nicknames on Viz and Serebii are diffrent sometimes as well... Ratty is Rat-chan, Dody is Dodosuke... Wait, they changed the names on serebii??? (just checked) That sucks... I like the names they used before better!!! But, umm... For the nicknames, try to stay as close to the orignal manga as possible? If that makes sense now... Gyuu...

I'm not on the serebii forums at all, I just go their for information, and I really like their information and updates. Its really infomative, and I can read it for, like, forever... umm... This post will probably be useless... Sorry... -.-;
Ama-chan
Ama-chan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down