Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out:

4 posters

Go down

I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out: Empty I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out:

Post by WaniNoko158 Sat May 08, 2010 11:36 pm

I look through a lot of cartoon dubbing on YouTube, and everyone's styles are clearly inspired from Official Anime Dub such as Funimation. What kind of bothers me is how it comes out a little awkward and a bit unnatural. But I understand that's because limitations in localization from Japanese to English.

But since the Poke Special Anime is going to created with English as the default dub, I think we can accommodate better with the voice acting, and be able to focus a bit more. So why not kind look into some normal English-speaking animation for some inspiration as well? Though I guess I'm not too aware about what you guys are going to with the script.

Still, I feel we can expand ourselves a bit about how we voice act. Though I think most animation productions in their local area go through the script first, then the voice overs, and finally the animation. Anime dubs of course have to get VA's to do their best to keep up with the slightly edited animations already made
WaniNoko158
WaniNoko158
Voice Team
Voice Team

I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out: Bg10

Back to top Go down

I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out: Empty Re: I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out:

Post by dirksies Sun May 09, 2010 11:25 am

I'm not entirely sure what to say to this. I feel like you're trying to make a point, but I'm not sure I understand what that point is. Are you saying that you want the PokeSpeAni to be less of an anime and more like American animation (or what-have-you)? The style we are using is Mato's style, so it will look similar to the manga, and thus look similar to traditional japanese anime (not that I'm a fountain of knowledge on that subject *shot*)...

Or were you asking about the script and how sometimes dubbed scripts sound awkward to the English listener? Again, we are using the manga, but not verbatim, so you might recognize some lines and maybe the general senario, but it will be reworked by our lovely script-writer Rainbow, so it will flow more smoothly.

Or were you talking about the VAs in general? We are trying to steer pretty clear of the anime as a reference for the voices for characters, at least those that appear in the anime like Brock or Erika. We have a general decription of how we want a character to sound (that probably needs to be written out somewhere now that I think of it), but no super strict guidelines or honest-to-goodness source material.

I hope I addressed your question somewhere. Like I said, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out: Bg10

Back to top Go down

I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out: Empty Re: I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out:

Post by WaniNoko158 Sun May 09, 2010 5:19 pm

dirksies wrote:
Or were you talking about the VAs in general? We are trying to steer pretty clear of the anime as a reference for the voices for characters, at least those that appear in the anime like Brock or Erika. We have a general decription of how we want a character to sound (that probably needs to be written out somewhere now that I think of it), but no super strict guidelines or honest-to-goodness source material.

I hope I addressed your question somewhere. Like I said, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...

Yeah, the voice acting in general. What I'm trying to say is that a lot of voice overs I heard outside the forums tend to sound (I hope this is the right word) a bit generic for most anime in general, not just the Pokemon anime. I feel like I'm hearing the same typical voices for the same general roles. I hoping we sort of look into some of the western animation for insights of making more distinct voices for the human characters.
WaniNoko158
WaniNoko158
Voice Team
Voice Team

I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out: Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by whatthechuck3 Sun May 09, 2010 8:29 pm

WaniNoko 158 wrote:
Yeah, the voice acting in general. What I'm trying to say is that a lot of voice overs I heard outside the forums tend to sound (I hope this is the right word) a bit generic for most anime in general, not just the Pokemon anime. I feel like I'm hearing the same typical voices for the same general roles. I hoping we sort of look into some of the western animation for insights of making more distinct voices for the human characters.[/quote]

Heh, well a lot of them do use the same voice actors, lol. Anyway, I think I understand what you're trying to say. I think it kinda goes without saying that we are trying to go for good quality VAs. But the fact of the matter is, we're all really just amatuers here (though many of us are talented amatuers, lol, as Dirksies, Kamuro, and several others showcase) so I don't know if there can be any promises made in that department. I think the general consensus is that the major cast will be decided by public vote, though the when/where/who/and how remain to be decided. But as far as references go some of that does boil down to a matter of acting style, and some people are very particular about their own personal style. I think using references for acting in general is a choice that should be made by an individual actor. Again, that may just be me. XD. Ideally, we'll be able to select the best actor for each role, but nothing's ever perfect, lol. But I think that the fact that this isn't a dub will allow the actors to individually add their own spark and personality to the characters without having to worry about rushing to keep up with the animation.

Phew...sorry about that XD.
whatthechuck3
whatthechuck3
Team Vice Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Vice Leader Fakemon Contest I guess one concern I have is how the voice characterization will come out: Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by WaniNoko158 Sun May 09, 2010 11:24 pm

whatthechuck3 wrote:Phew...sorry about that XD.

It's cool, man. I got what you're saying. Thank you both for answering.
WaniNoko158
WaniNoko158
Voice Team
Voice Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylodon Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Question answered. Lock.
Mylodon
Mylodon
Script Team
Script Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum