Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronis or Official?

+9
Aki11
whatthechuck3
Mrtweetums
Skotein
Razor-Leaf
Nol
Joyfulldreams
videofan9864
Kamuro
13 posters

Go down

Coronis or Official? Empty Coronis or Official?

Post by Kamuro Sat May 15, 2010 6:09 am

I've been wondering, but when we get up to where it's applicable will we be using Coronis' translated names, or the official ones? I personally lean towards Coronis, as he tends to make a much more comprehensive, understandable translation than Chuang Yi did. Oh, but what'll happen when Viz gets up to those parts?

So, basically, the question is the title: For Pokemon nicknames and for character names, will we be using the official translation, or Coronis'?
Kamuro
Kamuro
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Vice Leader Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Coronis or Official? Empty Re: Coronis or Official?

Post by videofan9864 Sat May 15, 2010 6:41 am

Kamuro wrote:I've been wondering, but when we get up to where it's applicable will we be using Coronis' translated names, or the official ones? I personally lean towards Coronis, as he tends to make a much more comprehensive, understandable translation than Chuang Yi did. Oh, but what'll happen when Viz gets up to those parts?

So, basically, the question is the title: For Pokemon nicknames and for character names, will we be using the official translation, or Coronis'?

I personally refuse to use Coronis' translations. Why? Because he tend to deviate to use too much western stuff which deviates greatly from other translations. Also serebii never even gave a care about us and most of them are arrogant snobs.

For names I choose Chuang Yi's and for other translation problems like the misty and Gyrados on the other thread I choose a vote like what you guys did on the thread.
videofan9864
videofan9864

Forum Team Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyfulldreams Sat May 15, 2010 6:58 am

Hmm, it depends, what names are you talking about? Pokemon nicknames? Translated character names? (Like I don't want to use Marge for the girl in the R/S arc. XDD I have no idea why Chuang Yi did that. >.>/)
Joyfulldreams
Joyfulldreams
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Illustration Team Leader Administrator Coronis or Official? Bg10

http://joyfulldreams.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nol Sat May 15, 2010 7:43 am

For the specific case of Courtney/Marge, Shelly/Angie, Mary-Ann/Gabby etc., I'd go with game translations first over the manga ones (in this case, Courtney, Shelly, and Gabby are the ingame names).

As for original character and nicknames though, I'd side with Coronis' translation a bit, although we could always just come up with our own/tweak translations and pick from either source.
Nol
Nol
Audio Team
Audio Team

Music Team Illustration Team Coronis or Official? Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/Arcasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor-Leaf Sat May 15, 2010 8:14 am

@Joy: Cuz the whole team magma "M" theme, example: Maxie.
Yeah they list diffrent stuff in bulbapedia and serebii,
like Blue's Wigglytuff, Bulbapedia said it was never given a nickname, but serebi said she eventually called it Jiggly.
If anyone has the origanal japanese versions, we could translate our own nicknames.
Razor-Leaf
Razor-Leaf
Hyper Supporter
Hyper Supporter

Fakemon Contest Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Skotein Sat May 15, 2010 8:23 am

Razor-Leaf wrote:@Joy: Cuz the whole team magma "M" theme, example: Maxie.
Yeah they list diffrent stuff in bulbapedia and serebii,
like Blue's Wigglytuff, Bulbapedia said it was never given a nickname, but serebi said she eventually called it Jiggly.
If anyone has the origanal japanese versions, we could translate our own nicknames.

I have the original Japanese manga if you guys need help translating names. Just let me know the corresponding page of the English version that has the character's/Pokémon's name/nickname mentioned, and I'll try to hunt down their Japanese name.
Skotein
Skotein
Audio Team
Audio Team

Coronis or Official? Bg10

http://www.pokemonsymphony.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor-Leaf Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 am

GAHH! Stupid contradicting nicknames!
Coronis or Official? Blaine-Quiz3
Razor-Leaf
Razor-Leaf
Hyper Supporter
Hyper Supporter

Fakemon Contest Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by videofan9864 Sat May 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Joyfulldreams wrote:Hmm, it depends, what names are you talking about? Pokemon nicknames? Translated character names? (Like I don't want to use Marge for the girl in the R/S arc. XDD I have no idea why Chuang Yi did that. >.>/)

Nol just said what I meant.Yeah in game names for the characters that have them. But for others like Sird/Storc I prefer the english ones. Like Sird, Carr, and Orm.
videofan9864
videofan9864

Forum Team Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums Sat May 15, 2010 11:53 pm

I agree with videofan. When the characters are in the game, we simply use their translations. And for manga only chars, we could use the ones that sound better.

(personally, I'm impartial. I read chuang-yi's version, but I also felt some of his nicknames were wrong. I agree with joy, Marge does NOT fit. But it doesn't really matter. Maybe a vote is in order when we get to that point?)
Mrtweetums
Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Forum Team Voice Team Administrator Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by whatthechuck3 Sun May 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Well Viz technically goes with the Chung-Yi nicknames (Saur, Aero, Pika, ect.) It doesnt say them in story, but they are listed on the character info pages. My vote goes to the Viz/Chung-Yi nicknames because, as far as translations goes, they're more official and more widely known (I've never even heard of Coronis). That's just what I think, though XD.
whatthechuck3
whatthechuck3
Team Vice Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Vice Leader Fakemon Contest Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nol Sun May 16, 2010 4:13 pm

Coronis is the writer for the manga summaries on Serebii.net. His translations are more recognizable for some older fans who haven't had access to scanlations before, because he usually wrote up his summaries of chapters way before translation groups scanlated the pages.
Nol
Nol
Audio Team
Audio Team

Music Team Illustration Team Coronis or Official? Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/Arcasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Sun May 16, 2010 9:14 pm

well i follow chuangyi's (since im from singapore and cy is from singapore so yea.), but honestly speaking I don't mind either. As long as it sounds good I guess. (tho, i know courtney as marge, but i absolutely can't stand it when they called scott furge at first...)

tho I think we should use nicknames, adds to the uniqueness of pokespe.

tho, i dunno if it's much too early to discuss this actually. Because now other than the nicknames most of all the other name discrepancies are like light years away before we even reach them. And if we discuss this early I'm sure by the time we go to that part this post would be long forgotten and we'll raise the question again. So it's better to raise questions prior to the current arc for now?
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Animation Team Animation Team Leader Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by whatthechuck3 Mon May 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Nol wrote:Coronis is the writer for the manga summaries on Serebii.net. His translations are more recognizable for some older fans who haven't had access to scanlations before, because he usually wrote up his summaries of chapters way before translation groups scanlated the pages.

Oh...gotcha. See I just bought the hard copies when I was a kid, (I even have Suddenly Starmie and The Ghastly Ghosts in issue form. They're not worth anything, I just find it kinda cool), and I've only read through the GSC arc ( I didn't buy those, but I did read the Chung Yi translations....don't ask how XD). So, sorry for being in the dark on that one, lol.

And yeah, good point aki, plus we've already had a discussion on nicknames haven't we?
whatthechuck3
whatthechuck3
Team Vice Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Vice Leader Fakemon Contest Coronis or Official? Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by dawsoc Mon May 31, 2010 8:19 pm

I vote official,because you know they're official,not coronisified
dawsoc
dawsoc

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Mon May 31, 2010 9:31 pm

I think we should used what sound better and what make more since. Go for official where we can but in some places we going to use a more translations. Like we are using Blue why every country other than japan her name is Green. I always knew the character Blue by the name Blue even before I hard of this manga. I didn't found out that her name was change to Green untell I started read it. I know we going to get alot of comments about Blue name.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Voice Team Coronis or Official? Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/SaiTurtlesninjaNX

Back to top Go down

Post by vt4tje Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:11 am

i kinda got used to have her name green... just because of the manga... suits her more tbh then blue... xD
vt4tje
vt4tje

http://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=4312404

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:20 am

In both the Viz's and Chuang Yi's translations they change her name to Green do the fact in most English-speacking countries they got the Blue version of the game.
The translator feels that Blue (who we called Green) suits the name of a rival more. I do agree with Blue fit the rival more but I disagree with changing the girl name to Green. Green doesnt fit with a girl all that will. I'm gald we'er using Green for the boy and Blue for the girl.

If have to do a last minute name change to be more like the offinal translations. Change Green the boy name to Blue but I say we should change the girl name to Leaf not Green. Green is not a good GIRL NAME. We are better off going with what we going with now using Green for the boy and Blue for the girl.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfessorE Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:57 pm

I think that you should always stick to the original (so in this case, Coronis) as possible. Here's why:
When working with something like this, whenever you deviate from what the original creators used, you are changing the original intent. Names, especially in forms of literature (yes, I consider everything with language literature) often say important things about a character or even an object. Any literary critic will tell you this. So, when you change a characters name from what it was originally, you are altering a perception the original creators were trying to put in place by naming the character what they did.

ProfessorE

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyfulldreams Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Me, I think Blue is better for the girl, because it seems more her....plus, she has blue eyes. XD And Green is a much better name for the boy, and he has green eyes....uuuuh...I just like it better. XD
Joyfulldreams
Joyfulldreams
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Illustration Team Leader Administrator Coronis or Official? Bg10

http://joyfulldreams.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Joy your not the only one who think the name Blue is better for the girl. I hate the name green for the girl.

Lets be a close the the japanese version as we can like the one from onemanga.com and make the same type of changes as good anime dubs will do.

@ProfessorE
Who are you talking too? If your talking to me I said Leaf because that the name of Blue game counterparts and I wish that what VIZ for there re-released of the manga change it too insed they keep it Green for her which P me off.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfessorE Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:26 pm

No I'm talking to...I'm just kind of talking to no one in particular...I do that sometimes. Sorry.
And no, I agree the girl should be Blue and the boy Green, because that is what it was originally.

ProfessorE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down