Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeons & Dragonites

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dungeons & Dragonites Empty Dungeons & Dragonites

Post by The Black Glove Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:44 pm

On some old forums, I made a roleplaying game that (poorly) combined D&D with Pokemon. Since I hadn't taken the time to write anything out, it failed miserably, and I lost interest for awhile.

This time, however, I've been much more serious about it, and am working on a pen-and-paper style D&D game. Need proof? Here's my version 1 character sheet:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nb03qau66bkm22q

You'll notice there's still a lot of work to do on it (oh Arceus, the monster book...), but I'm looking for ideas and suggestions to improve it.

What I have so far:
Spoiler:

If you have any comments, questions, or ideas, please discuss them. I hope to eventually release this game to everyone.

*gets back to work on the main sourcebook*
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Script Team Voice Team Dungeons & Dragonites Bg10

Back to top Go down

Dungeons & Dragonites Empty Re: Dungeons & Dragonites

Post by MrMaster Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:16 pm

Sounds like it has potential. I'd like to see it when it's released.
MrMaster
MrMaster
Voice Team
Voice Team

Dungeons & Dragonites Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsurugi Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Sounds cool, but what are Pokemorphs?
Tsurugi
Tsurugi
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Pokemorphs are a fan-made creation by Pokemon fans around the globe: essentially, magic, science, or plot causes a mix of human DNA and Pokemon DNA, creating what is essentially a human with Pokemon abilities and parts. They'll be a while in coming, and will likely recieve their own mini-guidebook due to the complexity of such a class, but something I know fans will be glad to see.

While I write the Guidebook, is there anything you've ever wanted to do in the Pokemon Games that you couldn't do, or you would have liked to see?
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonk Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:22 pm

D&D eh! Gotta brush up on my Pokefacts.
Jonk
Jonk
Staff

Animation Team Dungeons & Dragonites Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_the_knight Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:45 am

Hmm, Dungeons and Dragonites. I've actually tried that, and it sure gets tense; however, I've used a different method of having my character has a weapon with a help of Pikachu.

The only hardest trick of making a good game for Pokemon in D&D is attacks, nature, data, evolution, berries, and tricks. It's based on strategy, commands, and performance.

Still, having both Pokemon and Human work together makes battle easy. That's why I've provided a Warrior Code.

And I think I know where the Pokemorph come from. I do believe it came from the Manga: Pokemon Reburst. I'd go nuts for that class and call out the names: Laser! Drill! Rocket! Spike! Hover! Cube! Frenzy! Burst! Void!

Black Glove, if you need help with Attacks, I'm your guy! Especially Natures.
Red_the_knight
Red_the_knight
Staff

Illustration Team Dungeons & Dragonites Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsurugi Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:11 am

The Black Glove wrote:Pokemorphs are a fan-made creation by Pokemon fans around the globe: essentially, magic, science, or plot causes a mix of human DNA and Pokemon DNA, creating what is essentially a human with Pokemon abilities and parts.

Oh! Surprised I get it, like the Gijinka Pokedex on DeviantArt right? Name just threw off for a sec there. That actually sounds cool, suits the game too.
Tsurugi
Tsurugi
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMaster Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:26 am

The Black Glove wrote:
While I write the Guidebook, is there anything you've ever wanted to do in the Pokemon Games that you couldn't do, or you would have liked to see?

Really, only two things stand out. The ability to actually join one of the criminal organizations, and the ability to have more than just 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 battles. (as in, I'd love to see something like a 2-18 battle Razz )
MrMaster
MrMaster
Voice Team
Voice Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Red_the_knight wrote:Hmm, Dungeons and Dragonites. I've actually tried that, and it sure gets tense; however, I've used a different method of having my character has a weapon with a help of Pikachu.
Yeah, I remember that. We went over that many times on Serebiiforums. This is different though- no Swords or Magic (though that IS an idea for a future update...), just classic Pokemon battles.

The only hardest trick of making a good game for Pokemon in D&D is attacks, nature, data, evolution, berries, and tricks. It's based on strategy, commands, and performance.
For now, I've been trying to focus on the absolute basics of Pokemon. This means v0.1 will include:

• The first Generation of Pokemon (#'s 1-151+Missingno.)
  • All 18 Types (Plus non-elemental in some cases)
  • All attacks from the FIRST Generation.
  • Abilities (ie, Blaze, Speed Boost, Static, etc.)
  • Traits (Things like how Beedrill have wings, but aren't considered to be flying types, and can be hit by attacks they should be flying over.)
  • Genders
  • Hold Items
  • Combination Attacks (Things like Defense Curl being used before Rollout will boost it's power)

Still, having both Pokemon and Human work together makes battle easy. That's why I've provided a Warrior Code.
Well, yes, but as I said before, humans still won't be doing much of the fighting on their own. Only a few classes will be.

And I think I know where the Pokemorph come from. I do believe it came from the Manga: Pokemon Reburst. I'd go nuts for that class and call out the names: Laser! Drill! Rocket! Spike! Hover! Cube! Frenzy! Burst! Void!
The idea of Pokemorphs was created by the fans LONG before the creation of Reburst. They'll be using the exact same names for their attacks as the Pokemon, though with probably higher stats.

Black Glove, if you need help with Attacks, I'm your guy! Especially Natures.
Actually, I haven't started on the Mon book yet, but if you want to help, you can go through the first Gen attacks and come up with the dicepools for them. I have a general idea as to how the moves will affect the battle otherwise, but I haven't gotten around to the numbers.

Tsurugi wrote:Oh! Surprised I get it, like the Gijinka Pokedex on DeviantArt right? Name just threw off for a sec there. That actually sounds cool, suits the game too.
Exactly. Gijinkas can be slightly different though. Some are only humans who have the coloration and clothing that makes them resemble the Pokemon, but they aren't actually part Pokemon. This will be clarified in the class sourcebook that will be made for them.

MrMaster wrote:Really, only two things stand out. The ability to actually join one of the criminal organizations, and the ability to have more than just 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 battles. (as in, I'd love to see something like a 2-18 battle Razz )
Well, once I get the Team System all figured out, you WILL be able to join Team Rocket, among other factions. However, as things are now, you should be able to have a battle between however many Pokemon you want. It just depends on if the GM wants to send a horde after you, or if you're really foolish enough to fight 18 trainers at once. Also, considering you can have a party of players, X vs Y battles are probably going to happen anyways.

Again, if there's anything that you guys think can improve the system, let me know.
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_the_knight Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:11 pm

2-18 battle? That looks a bit unfair, almost close to having a 1-4 battle. This would have to be more than one command.
Red_the_knight
Red_the_knight
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Red_the_knight wrote:2-18 battle? That looks a bit unfair, almost close to having a 1-4 battle. This would have to be more than one command.
You have to consider the fact that this would work just like D&D, so yes, it would be unfair. But it's only if the GM forces this upon you. I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm just saying it COULD happen.
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_the_knight Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:55 am

Could happen? I can see why you're the Game Master.

I'll see what I can do with the dice pool. I've looked up its attack damage, but you're doing Generation I. So the attacks haven't altered until Generation II-IV.
Red_the_knight
Red_the_knight
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:44 am

Red_the_knight wrote:Could happen? I can see why you're the Game Master.

I'll see what I can do with the dice pool. I've looked up its attack damage, but you're doing Generation I. So the attacks haven't altered until Generation II-IV.
Go ahead and use some of the changes made in the future generations (ie., the physical/special split, Karate Chop and Gust being Fighting/Flying moves respectively, Thunder/Gust hitting Flying opponents while Earthquake works on those underground, both causing more damage, moves that require contact...). Just don't bring in attacks from any further generations yet.
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_the_knight Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:58 pm

*Chuckles* That shouldn't be a problem. I took notes while back when I was trying to work out with Pokemon Attacks turned into Spheres. When do you want the first Generation Attacks? And where should I turn them to you?
Red_the_knight
Red_the_knight
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:21 am

Whenever you have them done is fine. Here, I have an old forum you can post them in:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/DungeonsNDragonites/index.php?act=idx

Anyone else willing to help is welcome to join as well.
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonk Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:14 am

Are you going to include the right % for status ailments. Cause when I played D&D I loved my poisions.
Jonk
Jonk
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah. On most attacks, it has a 10% or 30% chance of happening (the former a side affect of moves like Poison Sting, the latter for Poison Powder/Toxic), and it takes 1/8th of your HP per turn, from what I remember. Toxic causes Badly Poisoned status, in which the damage doubles each turn to up to half the foe's HP per turn.

I believe this is correct, though I could be wrong. Maybe it's 1/16th instead of 1/8th?

EDIT: remember that Forum Address I posted earlier? The site's been given a decent-looking skin and has some discussion categories now.
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_the_knight Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:17 pm

No. You are very correct. It only starts with 1/16 of HP, and then doubles until the Pokemon is KOed. Be careful about Sleep and Attract. Will Saves are useless (except for the Sleep Powder). Once it hits, there is no save. I've tried that with Confuse Ray, and that always hit without a Will Save.

If that works on a Human, humans have no affect (unless their Will Save is low).

Only Toxic, Toxic Spikes, & Poison Fang causes Badly Poison.

As for me, I'm working on the Dice Pool which finally reminds me: what should I do with their power? Just full (like for example Thunderbolt 95 as a dice to its limit), Half, or Fourth?
Red_the_knight
Red_the_knight
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMaster Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Red_the_knight wrote:No. You are very correct. It only starts with 1/16 of HP, and then doubles until the Pokemon is KOed.

That's for badly poisoned, regular is just 1/8 every turn. Just clarifying.
MrMaster
MrMaster
Voice Team
Voice Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Red_the_knight wrote:Will Saves are useless (except for the Sleep Powder). Once it hits, there is no save. I've tried that with Confuse Ray, and that always hit without a Will Save.

If that works on a Human, humans have no affect (unless their Will Save is low).
Okay, I should probably say it right here that I'm not using the exact D&D setup. Including the full stats for 6 Pokemon on your team, plus the trainer, plus any Pokemon in a storage box, you'd have way to much to fit into a typical D&D sheet without needing more than 4 pages. The Pokemon are kept very simple, and more influence comes from the Pokemon side of things. So there is no "Will Save" to protect the trainers, only the poor accuracy and a bunch of items to remove status conditions.

Only Toxic, Toxic Spikes, & Poison Fang causes Badly Poison.
Of the mentioned attacks, only Toxic will be appearing in generation 1 of this game. Also, you forgot Fling (when holding the item "Toxic Orb").

As for me, I'm working on the Dice Pool which finally reminds me: what should I do with their power? Just full (like for example Thunderbolt 95 as a dice to its limit), Half, or Fourth?
Since you're having to keep track of around 7 (or more) characters at once, we're going to keep the stats simple to avoid needing a calculator and a ridiculous number of complicated formulas. Just keep that in mind and you should do fine.

MrMaster wrote:
Red_the_knight wrote:No. You are very correct. It only starts with 1/16 of HP, and then doubles until the Pokemon is KOed.
That's for badly poisoned, regular is just 1/8 every turn. Just clarifying.
Thanks for that clarification. I'll add it to my notes about status conditions.
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonk Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:56 pm

The poison thing was different in gen 1 anyways. All notes on status ailments are on Bulbapedia Status
Jonk
Jonk
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_the_knight Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:44 am

The Black Glove wrote:
Since you're having to keep track of around 7 (or more) characters at once, we're going to keep the stats simple to avoid needing a calculator and a ridiculous number of complicated formulas. Just keep that in mind and you should do fine.

Well, no. Not like that. I mean the dice. Since 95 is the power, it would overwhelm a Pokemon in one KO unless I could make the attack fair. Should I go with the full: 8d12; half: 6d8, or fourth: 3d12.
Red_the_knight
Red_the_knight
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Go with the half. By the time Electric-Type Pokemon learn Thunderbolt, they'll be at a high enough level to resist it at least somewhat decently as well.

Also! I was thinking about including a stat called PP, which would essentially work like an MP stat. Using moves uses up some of the PP, but Pokemon regenerate PP over time, sort of reflecting how Ash's Pokemon always had more energy after they'd been pulled out of the battle for a short time. The PP Stat would depend entirely on a Pokemon's level: Every Pokemon starts with a 50 PP Max, and gains 10 more PP every 10 Levels
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonk Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Are we going to be using the forums random number generator for dice rolls?
Code:
[rand]20[/rand]
Random number (1,20) : 18
Jonk
Jonk
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_the_knight Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Hmm.

Random number (1,20) : 12

Since I've joined, now where should I turn in the dice pool I've worked on. In PM or in the Mon Guide section.
Red_the_knight
Red_the_knight
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum