Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED

4 posters

Go down

Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED Empty Nicknames for Pokemon

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Okay, so I saw on Dabeat's audition thread some interest in knowing the nickname of the poliwhirl Red owns. As the VA scriptwriter, I think it's important that we decide on that ASAP, especially if we are actually kicking into action and trying to get this thing going.

My suggestions is that we present some ideas for nicknames of everyone's pokemon (i.e. Red, Blue, Green, Misty, etc.), which shouldn't be too hard seeing as the characters are like 10 and pretty much name their pokemon after what they are-- and if there's disagreement on what these nicknames should be, we should have a fun poll to vote on them.

I know some people wanted to see if we could translate from the manga, but IMO it doesn't really matter, since whatever we say will probably be extremely close to the Japanese nicknames anyway, and even if we translated them, they probably wouldn't make much sense, due to them being based for the most part off the Japanese naems. (Plus, it's not like we're going to nickname them "Steve" and "Bob" right?)

Also, would it make sense for Green to NOT nickname his pokemon? I know someone said (I think it was Aki or Ezu) the need for nicknames was to illustrate a bond between the trainers and their pokemon. Since Green kinda presents himself as void of this "bond," (i.e. he cares about collecting and not necessarily the pkmn themselves) it wouldn't truly make sense for him to nickname any of them (except maybe Charmander).

So yea, it would be nice to know before we get everything going, since a few of the main pokemon are presented in the first episode, and it wouldn't be cool to suddenly change their names in the second episode because we finally decide we want nicknames. When we decide on the nicknames, I can write them into the script. pikachu

-Rain

Last edited by RainbowMunchies on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED Empty Re: Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED

Post by whatthechuck3 Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 pm

The official english nicknames in the manga are as follows:

Red

Poliwhirl: Poli
Venasaur: Saur
Pikachu: Pika
Gyarados: Gyara
Eevee: Vee (sometimes Vui)
Areodactyl: Areo
Snorlax: Lax

Green:
None

Blue

Blastoise: Blasty
Ditto: Ditty
Clefable: Clefy
Nidoqueen: Nidory
Granbull: Bull
Wigglytuff: None

Yellow

Caterpie: Kitty
Graveler: Gravvy
Raticate: Ratty
Omystar: Omny
Doduo: Dody

These are true for both Viz and Chuang Yi editions. (Chang Yi used them starting with the FR/LG chapters, and Viz used them in their character profiles, at least in the second editions)

Last edited by whatthechuck3 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
whatthechuck3
whatthechuck3
Team Vice Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Vice Leader Fakemon Contest Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyfulldreams Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Yeah, what he said. XD Its in the manga, we shouldn't really need to debate this...
Joyfulldreams
Joyfulldreams
Illustration Team
Illustration Team

Illustration Team Leader Administrator Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED Bg10

http://joyfulldreams.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:26 pm

I didn't want to debate. I just wasn't sure, since the version I was reading didn't have the nicknames translated, and I didn't want to just start writing in nicknames from the translations that do have the nicknames if everyone didn't want/agree on them. :/

Back to top Go down

Post by whatthechuck3 Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Which versions are you reading, per chance?
whatthechuck3
whatthechuck3
Team Vice Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Vice Leader Fakemon Contest Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:34 pm

The ones on MangaFox-- the DragonGuard scantalations. I read through the thread about which translations to use, but there didn't seem to be a definite answer. Some people dissed the Viz translations (which seem to be, for the most part, the ones DragonGuard uses) while others said they were good.

I haven't really searched around for another place to read, since MangaFox seems to be agreeing with my crappy college connection, but if you guys have one that incorporates correct nicknamage (lulz) I will make an attempt to go read those. However, the script I presented you was done through the DragonGuard scantalations on MangaFox (which is why I didn't include nicknames... obviously...) just FYI.

;u; sorry if I started a useless thread, but I guess I didn't realize we had translated names. It seems the others were debating over this in the other threads, and being me I didn't realize. I just thought we could have some fun, but if we already have names, there's no point in doing that then. :/

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:42 pm

I agree with pretty much everything that was said (haha!) My only objection is...

whatthechuck3 wrote:
Areodactyl: Areo

I believe Aero is spelled as such, not like Areo, but that might have been a typo on wtc's part.
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Since this topic concluded, is it okay if I lock it? or is there any doubts that are still uncleared?
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Animation Team Animation Team Leader Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:03 pm

nope, i think we're done =]
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic Nicknames for Pokemon - DENIED Bg10