Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokédex display

+11
Supernova
Mylodon
videofan9864
Goddess_of_Random
dirksies
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
Mrtweetums
DreamlandMessenger
Nol
Aki11
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How should the Pokedex and its sprites be? And how do we communicate the Pokedex message? Multiple answers option has been activated to save time.

Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap22%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 22% 
[ 18 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap10%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 8 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap7%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 6 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap11%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 9 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap10%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 8 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap7%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 6 ]
Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_lcap22%Pokédex display - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 22% 
[ 18 ]

Total Votes : 82

Poll closed

Pokédex display - Page 2 Empty Re: Pokédex display

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:32 pm

So most of us are saying that we should have the gen 1 display,redrawn pokémon sprites in a Gen 1 pose and maybe have the pokedex talk and shows words.
Aki11 said it a talking pokedex is a good idea for for several reasons. And there no there nothing saying the pokedex talk didsn't talk in the manga.

We need more people to comment on this before we do a poll.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Voice Team Pokédex display - Page 2 Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/SaiTurtlesninjaNX

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:24 pm

well, if it's just brief indications of red describing the pokemon, saying the main points, that sounds okay. But I can't help but feel that the focus on pokemon is lost in that process, i mean, the pokedex isn't really supposed to read moods, ya know~ It won't know that "oh hey there's a electabuzz nearby, so I shall reveal less information cos it's dangerous" It would still spill out the information like what it is programmed to do regardless of the situation. And if it's the case of thought, or just stating the main points, lots of other information on pokemon will be lost. (okay I think I got my points jumbled up but whatever>>;;; )
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Animation Team Animation Team Leader Pokédex display - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 pm

I like the "thought-speech" idea. So it'd be like.

Red (questioning/surprised): What is this?
*opens pokedex and reads description*
Red (thinking over action): So it can eat electricity eh? Well then...(ordering out loud) Pika! Go!

Just an example, but I think it'd work better than having to drastically change the pokedex or have the trainers waste time reading out loud. And really, how many times is what the pokedex says truly significant? And what is significant is usually reiterated by the trainers anyway, through thought or speech. Anyone who reads the manga usually figures out which pokemon is which and what it does anyway.

As for the sprites, IDK XD that's not my department, lulz.

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:15 pm

Yeah, i like the thought speech idea too. It wouldn't be that difficult to intergrate into the script.
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Voice Team Voice Team Leader VA Critic Pokédex display - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Goddess_of_Random Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Well I am all for the Gen I sprites but having them colored. I would like to see the entries look just like or at least remarkably similar to how they look in the Gen I games.

For the pokedex talking, I am completely against it. But maybe perhaps when someone opens the dex and looks at it, and the entry applies to the scene, then there can be a quick moment when the audience can see it. Like RM said, perhaps they could then say outloud or think [voice over] only the important facts. I feel like, while the other anime likes to have the dex talk all day about every single poke that comes around, in this medium, the dex doesn't serve that purpose.

Hopefully that made sense. Having a brain fart over here and can't really explain things coherently apparently. [heehee I'm a poet]
Goddess_of_Random
Goddess_of_Random
Voice Team
Voice Team

Pokédex display - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:37 pm

well. you guys do have a point and it seems that the majority thinks the same. It's probably thought that then, I guess. Since the show doesn't need to franchise pokemon itself so much as much as nintendo, it's more of the trainers in pokespecial that gets the limelight. well self contradiction againXD I'm being convinced so much lately, lolXD
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Now I think we got a good idea how to do about the pokedex speech. The trainers thinking what the pokedex is saying. Works for me! As long as people don't need to read when they are watching this show.

As for the sprites. We should have them in the Gen 1 pose.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm not saying we should take out the text or graphics altogether. We should still put something down for those fans that wish to pause it and read X3 (I do this all the time when words are shown but aren't really meant to be read. In fact, I paused the opening to Doogie Howser, M.D. earlier today and tried to read the news articles.) Lulz.

But reading it all in most cases would be pointless.

And I get what you're saying Aki. I remember it used to annoy me that the "Who's that pokemon?" in the anime commercial cut was always really easy, cause you knew it was just the new pokemon introduced in that episode. XD I was a weird kid. ^^;

But I think you get what I mean right? The anime was always about pushing the "pokemon of the day" and not necessarily about the story and the trainer. That's why the manga is so great, because story's not built around the fact that there's pokemon, but more the fact that there are pokemon aids the story.

Now I'm not making sense, lulz. >.>;

Back to top Go down

Post by SaiTurtlesninjaNX Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:32 pm

@RainbowMunchies
You said and hit home.

I will alway like the anime out of nostalgia. This manga is so must better and to bad not a lot of people besaid the fans know about it. Most of my 150 subscirbers only hard about it form me.
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamlandMessenger Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:35 pm

SaiTurtlesninjaNX wrote:@RainbowMunchies
You said and hit home.

I will alway like the anime out of nostalgia. This manga is so must better and to bad not a lot of people besaid the fans know about it. Most of my 150 subscirbers only hard about it form me.

Ironically it was the manga that renewed my interest in the series. The anime has pretty much hit rock bottom and the games are starting to become stale with each new generation (but that's not stopping me from getting HeartGold).

DreamlandMessenger

Pokédex display - Page 2 Bg10

http://niftihalostudios.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:51 pm

I don't think the games went down, I stopped with the anime once they changed the voice actors. I'm still a big fan of pokemon though!

And ive got to agree with the thought idea, with visuals of course, like how rain put it.

the "monster of the day" pokemon thing is because during this time, in japan, monster of the day was quite a fad. (Sailor moon, anyone?) I think pokemon just adopted the fad, found it works, and kept with it (even though it's been going on, long after the fad has ended) I'm sorry if I'm defending the original anime too much, but I grew up with it. I can't just cut it out of my life.
Mrtweetums
Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Forum Team Voice Team Administrator Pokédex display - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:06 pm

well i thought platinum was pretty fun lol, they added quite a few new interesting stuff, although i dont really like the pokemon designs as much anymore=w=;; And that so many things are like a slightly tweaked version of the old games, jubilife is like rustboro, the cycling road's like the one in kanto etc etc. but still enjoyable i guess=w=

haha, i stopped when they changed the voice actors too, tweets, just couldnt stand it anymore when they changed it>A>;; but i really like the early days of the pokemon anime tho, the first movie even made me cry, lolXD
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Mrtweetums wrote:I'm sorry if I'm defending the original anime too much, but I grew up with it. I can't just cut it out of my life.

Au contraire, I too have a soft spot in my heart for the anime. The manga was indeed refreshing for me, but I feel a little sad that some people have the one or neither feel about it. I have met more than one or two people who say that just because the manga is really good, that means the anime sucks and isn't worth watching. As Tweetums says, it's definitely one of the first things that comes to mind when thinking of Pokemon. Let's face it, most people knew about the anime before the game, and waaaay before the manga.

Or at least the oldies like me XD who were like 8 when the anime came out. Pokemon was nowhere near as big as it is now when I was little, not to mention manga was nowhere near as thoroughly translated and marketed as when I was a kid, making it tough to have discovered the latter before the former.

That said, I really haven't watched any of the newer stuff, but mostly because I grew up, lulz. I still flip it on when I'm at the gym. TVs on treadmills FTW! XD (and I LOVE Team Rocket. I know most people detest them, but I just LOVE them so much for some reason. Each and every one of em. Well... I actually hated Wobbuffet for a while, but whateves >w<)

And since this whole post was off topic, I would like to provide an on-topic section. pikachu Here goes: I agree with the idea of the colored-in sprites. Also: HERE
(Just so we make sure people know what we are referring to)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:18 pm

I think most people loved the early days of pokemon. *wave of nostalgia

if the first movie got you crying (I did too, XD), you need to watch the japan only featurette, called Birth of Mewtwo. They cut it out from the final English cut, but I think you can watch the Japanese version on YouTube or something. Heck, when I read the sypnosis of the featurette online, I got really choked up. (she didn't even get the chance to live life! *sobs) and considering I'm much older then I was when I watched the first movie...yeah.

...anyways, should we start the poll for pokedex yet?
Mrtweetums
Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Nol Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Oh yeah, I was so shocked at how much sadder the whole story was, because I remember tearing up just at the cut English dub. Sad
Nol
Nol
Audio Team
Audio Team

Music Team Illustration Team Pokédex display - Page 2 Bg10

https://www.youtube.com/user/Arcasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 pm

(off topic: someone, link me. PLEASE;A; *wants to watch*)

i think we gotta wait for ezu or mylo to start it, i guess. this is more of the management stuff isn't it>A>; *not sure*

and we better make the pikachu less... chubby, in the sprites we're doing<A<
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 pm

w-w-w-why?!?!?! WHY DID YOU TELL ME ABOUT THAT TWEETUMS!??!!?

Of course I looked it up, and it was so sad and amazing all at once. TAT

Dear Frith... It all makes so much more sense now too! .>A<. but it was so sad!!! I'm crying right now. :'C

"Life is wonderful."
"But why?"

OAO ~shot~

p.s. For Aki: Part 1 (sound quality is boo, but the overall quality is good *sniff*)

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 pm

( a link to the birth of Mewtwo? well, here's the english dub at least link-y! Mine's better because it's the whole thing as one)

I thought the person who started the thread can just add a poll?
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:05 am

It seems you two beat me to it.

"life is wonderful". It is! *sobs I'm sorry rain. It's so...sad!

No wonder mewtwo went beserk. And the scientist just wanted his daughter back. T.T

...*sniffles I think we should use yellow sprite of pikachu, just cause the red version of pikachu looks so different.
Mrtweetums
Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:12 am

Yeah, some of the older sprites look oddly one dimensional. I think we could perhaps use the sprites as a design basis and then go from there to a)not have to worry about our style and the game's style clashing awkwardly or b)copyright.
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 am

So, you're for the idea of drawing the sprites, by using the sprites as a basis?

Seems fair. A poll is still in order though. Cause some people may disagree.
Mrtweetums
Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by dirksies Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:16 am

Yes, that is what I was trying to say in less words. Thanks, tweety ^.^

And yes, someone needs to get a poll up, whether that's the thread author or someone one the mangement team, they just need to make sure that all the points are offered somewhere to vote.
dirksies
dirksies
Team Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 am

So we've already agreed on the "thinking" to display any important info on the pokedex right?

So all we really need to vote on is which sprites to use and how to use em.

(correct me if I'm wrong, lulz)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrtweetums Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:34 am

I would say you just summed up our progress so far!
Mrtweetums
Mrtweetums
Full Supporter
Full Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:54 am

I just wanna say, where have the good old days of pokemon gone to!;A;

*lol just watched mewtwo's origin*
Aki11
Aki11