Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations

+7
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
Aki11
Illy
Supernova
HamsterPants
Kazaazz
Pokexpress
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations Empty Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations

Post by Pokexpress Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:34 am

Like the title says...discuss about mangas/animes you're following, your favourites, or any that you'd like to recommend! Very Happy

I'm actually rather surprised nobody has made this topic yet. Mods, is this allowed? If it's not, of course, feel free to delete.

Aside from PokeSpe, the series I'm currently following is Hetalia: Axis Powers. You should read it if you haven't--it's hilarious and...makes you learn history much more easily. Gosh, I wish I had discovered it sooner when I was still in high school and studying history. Heh.

Basically, this webcomic centres about the personification of nations, mainly the Axis Powers--Italy, Germany and Japan. Most of the storyline takes place in World War 2. History gag and stereotypes are pretty much the driving force for Hetalia. Every story is covered by a few strips and an episode is only like, 5 minutes. If you don't want to spend too much time reading or watching, this manga/anime would be a great choice. Very Happy

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetalia

Another series I'm recommending would be a rather old, completed series: +Anima. I'm not sure whether to categorise it as shonen or shojo, as it seems to be kinda "general". The plot revolves around four +Anima children--children who are blessed with the power of animals when they are very close to death, and are treated as outcasts in their world. The direction in which the plot moves to isn't very clear, but in my opinion, it seems kinda like they're looking for a place "where they belong".

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2BAnima

If you like baseball manga, I would highly recommend the manga/anime Cross Game by Adachi Mitsuru, which has a rich combination of sports, romance, fanservice and of course, Adachi-style comedy. Very Happy As I am too lazy to type up a synopsis, here's an excerpt from wiki:

Cross Game is the story of Ko Kitamura and the four neighboring Tsukishima sisters, Ichiyo, Wakaba, Aoba, and Momiji. Wakaba and Ko were born on the same day in the same hospital and are close enough that Wakaba treats Ko as her boyfriend, though nothing is officially declared,[7] while Aoba, one year younger than them, hates how Ko is "taking" her sister away from her. After Wakaba dies, Ko and Aoba slowly grow closer as they strive to fulfill Wakaba's final dream of seeing them play in the high school baseball championship in Koshien Stadium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Game

Another series I'm currently following are Naruto (sigh), Bakuman and (sometimes) Detective Conan. I'm also planning to pick up Kuroshitsuji after I have settled down with my univ life. Rolling Eyes

Other mangas I'd like to mention: Death Note (as epicly mentioned by Kazaaz), Yakitatte!! Japan (The first two parts are good, the ending is like WTH), and others I'll mention when I am not too lazy to re-edit this post. Very Happy

So, anything you'd like to share about anime/manga? Very Happy

Last edited by Pokexpress on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added stuffs.)
Pokexpress
Pokexpress

Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations Bg10

Back to top Go down

Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations Empty Re: Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations

Post by Kazaazz Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 am

SIGH, I'm gonna be here all day editing this post when I remember anime I've watched and manga I've read in my life. It's mainly shonen, but I don't mind shojo occasionally.

Shonen that I've read and watched ENTIRELY (including movies and spin-offs): Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, (Obviously) Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood, Black Cat, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!/GX/5D's, DeathNote, Fairy Tail, Pokemon (including every manga) and Beyblade (The manga is better. The manga).
I've got every manga volume for the stuff above too, except BC, Beyblade and some of the Pokemon, (relax, I've got Pokespe).

Shonen I've read a little and watched a little (this is variable): Rurouni Kenshin, Kuroshitsuji, Blood +, D. Gray Man, Digimon, Dragonball/Z, Bakuman, Claymore, Soul Eater, Avatar: The Last Airbender (if that counts), Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Chao;s Head, Hellsing, Inuyasha, Prince of Tennis, Wolf's Rain, Zombie Powder, Akikan.

Now for shojo, which I rarely keep up with unless its good. Mostly I just watch/read shojo to kill time: Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Vampire Knight, K-On!/!, (I know its seinen), Fruits Basket, Love Hina, Ouron High School Host Club.

GASP, I think that's all.

Oh, right, gotta actually discuss them...I'll just talk about my favourite shonen for now. DeathNote and FMA (Brotherhood duh) are probably some of my all-time favourite manga however I won't deny the quality of Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. Because after all, as most people know, they're pretty damn good.But DN and FMA set it apart for me.

DN follows Light Yagami, a student with prospects, and his experiences after he picks up a black notebook called a Death Note wherein if you write in a person's name with their face in mind, they will die of a heart attack in 40 seconds. Light wishes to use the notebook to rid the world of the people that it would be better off without, and become the god of this new world. This is challenged by L, the world's greatest detective, saying he's a murderer. The race is on to see who will catch the other, and therefore kill the other first, in an EPIC battle of wits. Trust me, when I first read it, I was like "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!" a lot of the time. Truly good stuff for manga when it only lasted 12 volumes.

Now, FMA. It may seem like an ordinary shonen manga/anime at first due to the slight episodic start, but soon the plot thickens. Revolving around Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist and his brother Alphonse Elric, they're looking for the Philosopher's Stone in order to gain back the bodies they lost when they tried to bring their mother back to life via alchemy. With plenty of (realistic) action and some of the most hilarious comedy I've seen in anime, it's surprsing how well alchemy becomes part of the battle as it's all within the boundaries of science, making for plenty of good fights when you realize it was just a matter of the chemistry. Most of the time though it's normal martial arts though combined with alchemy making fists come out of the ground to attack the opponent. However there are various types of alchemy, raging from fire appearing from clicking fingers, turning the iron in your blood into guns, and freezing/boiling the water in the air for everything from smokescreens to glaciers.
I personally myself prefer the manga. There are two types of anime you see, with the first one deviating from the plot line both terribly and drastically so DON'T BOTHER. The second one, called FMA: Brotherhood is the one to watch, as its completely based off the manga. However it did edit out some comedic scenes, which is why I prefer the manga.

Happy watching and reading!

Last edited by Kazaazz on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Forum Team Music Team VA Critic Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations Bg10

http://kazaazz.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations Empty Re: Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations

Post by HamsterPants Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:36 am

Kazaazz wrote:I won't deny the quality of Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. Because after all, as most people know, they're pretty damn good.
Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations 1283765344328
That has to be the most outrageous thing I've ever read.
HamsterPants
HamsterPants
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Pokexpress Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:55 am

Naruto was good, IMO. The Chuunin Exam part fights are good, and the recent arc of Minato and Kushina is the best arc Kishi's come up with in a while. Though, overall, I really dislike Part 2--it isn't the type of stuffs I like to reread and reread all over, unlike the Tsunade arc in Part 1. :<:
Pokexpress
Pokexpress

Back to top Go down

Post by HamsterPants Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:18 am

Pokexpress wrote:Naruto was good, IMO. The Chuunin Exam part fights are good, and the recent arc of Minato and Kushina is the best arc Kishi's come up with in a while. Though, overall, I really dislike Part 2--it isn't the type of stuffs I like to reread and reread all over, unlike the Tsunade arc in Part 1. :<:
I hate naruto, though I definitely think that the anime was a better effort than the manga, because Naruto's character was considerably less annoying.
I also liked the soundtrack.
Other than that, it sucks.

Same goes for Bleach, the first season was okay, but after that it was just awful. The anime has an awesome soundtrack, and the manga has good artwork. I'm inclined to believe that the writer is on some sort of extremely heavy medication, it pains me to even call him a writer at this point...
HamsterPants
HamsterPants
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Pokexpress Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:27 am

HamsterPants wrote:
Pokexpress wrote:Naruto was good, IMO. The Chuunin Exam part fights are good, and the recent arc of Minato and Kushina is the best arc Kishi's come up with in a while. Though, overall, I really dislike Part 2--it isn't the type of stuffs I like to reread and reread all over, unlike the Tsunade arc in Part 1. sad
I hate naruto, though I definitely think that the anime was a better effort than the manga, because Naruto's character was considerably less annoying.
I also liked the soundtrack.
Other than that, it sucks.

Kishi seems to be over-stalling Naruto with all the rather horrid battle scenes he's been pulling. I really do hope he's just gonna speed things up and end the thing already. It's so horribly overrated it should have ended five years ago if not for the popularity. down

The anime is? Eh, I don't really watch the anime, which part are you referring to? Part 1, filler or 2? If he's still going all IWON'TGIVEUPBLAHBLAHBLAHSASUKEEEEEBLAHBLAH then no, thank you very much.
Pokexpress
Pokexpress

Back to top Go down

Post by HamsterPants Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:36 am

Pokexpress wrote:It's so horribly overrated it should have ended five years ago if not for the popularity.
I am quoting this in the name of TRUTH!

Also, I just said that Naruto was less annoying in the anime, but the anime still sucks.... lol
In essence, it's just a coming of age story that's dragged out way too long. It's a waste of time to be interested in, the character development is poorly written, as well as the plot, some of the character development makes no sense at all, etc, etc.
Did I mention that the character development is crap? lol
HamsterPants
HamsterPants
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 am

Hmmm, I've read/watched: Pokemon, some Digimon, FMA, Death Note, HunterXHunter, Ouran high School Host Club, Vampire Knight (this one got really boring somewhere part way through), HunterxHunter (a pretty cool, long manga, but the author is ill so it goes on break frequently), Fairy Tail (people can say it is a rip-off of One Piece, but it's cool in its own way), D. Gray Man (I thought the quality of this gradually degraded, but that might just be me), Mx0, Elfen Lied, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (I think I'm out of date with this), Witch Hunter Robin, Gundam SEED (and Gundam SEED Destiny), and, of course, Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

I saw bits of some other anime like S-Cryed as well.

I'll just talk about some of the ones that haven;t been mentioned mutch yet:

Elfen Lied is some awesome manga, although it's really sad. It's a story about this special race who have, essentially, psychic powers: the Diclonius. One of these escapes form a facility but suffers brain damage in the process, leading to a split personality. The main character finds her and takes her in, not noticing he has actually met her in the past. It's a story with a lot of emotions and characters and is a must read, I think.

Witch Hunter Robin is some anime I saw on TV. From what little I remember, there are witches ... who get hunted by the hunters, some of whom ahve powers as well. Robin, the main character, can burn things. It was pretty good, although i don;t remember too well.

Mx0 is a story about a school of magic which remains concealed to teh outside world ... a guy who failed to get in ends up in the school because he wants to apologise to a girl from the entrance test, so he tries to go there. Having no magical plate, the tablet/card like objects they use to cast magic, he can't participate for real in the school, but due to the circumstances, the school's principal and another teacher have to pretend he's basically awesome at magic. It's a hilarious story, but it's a shame it got cut short.

About Naruto/Bleach/One Piece: For some reason, a lot of people have issues with these, which I don't really always get.

For those who haven;t read them:

Naruto is a great story about ninja. Like most manga of its magazine (Shounen Jump), it's also a lot about bonds. It's a very good story, but a word of advice: the anime is plagued by some terrible area of fillers at the end of 'part 1' from episode 136-220. I suggest, if you watch the anime, you skip those and just watch the end part of 220. A lot fo people camplain how the filelr ruined it, so i skipped it. A lot fo other pure filler arcs are worth skipping, although one story arc in Shippuuden (that's part 2) blends filler into a few events from the manga, so it's not really skippable. All in all though, the anime makes a good job of the manga. IN the manga, my only problem is Kishimoto's bubbles (as in, thought and speech bubbles). They're really wierd! Honestly!

Bleach was made from the author's desire to draw swordsmen in kimonos! It has a pretty decent plot and ncie fights. The anime, again, has horrible filler, but is otherwise good. The manga has really nice art, but a warning! The author, Kubo, draws out action scenes in a lot of detail, so not much happens per chapter. That can be frustating!

One Piece is a manga of pure awesomeness! It honestly rocks! It's a story about pirates and is full of adventure. The setting is fantastic in nature and is truly amazing. It's true highlight for me is that there is enver a dull moment. Most long manga tend to have lulls in the excitement followed by epic moments. One Piece is just amazing throughout (although some moments are more amazing than others ...).

For thsoe who have read them (spoilers ahead):

Why I notice people complainging about Naruto:

1) Naruto's gay: I don't know why, but people seem to like moaning that Naruto is gay because he does xyz. Of course, in this open minded day and age, this shouldn;t be a problem, but then that's just a thinly-veiled facade, and we're a homophobic society in reality ;D But of course, the point isn;t really that Naruto IS gay, because he's probably not ... although maybe a bit bisexual.

2) "talk no jutsu" and "plot no jutsu": The idea that Naruto succeeds by tlaking to people and by mechanisms of plot. For example, how Naruto talked to Nagato and then Nagato decided to support Naruto. But then ... what's wrong with that? They negotiated, and plot wise and character wise, it would have been illogical for narto to have busted in there and fought Konan and Nagato. Besides, he already fought with and defeated the Six Bodies of Pain ... that's a good mix of fighting and plot. Although, in some cases, I understand why people complain: Naruto mastered Sage Mode perfectly in a short period of time (less than a week?) while it took Jiraiya an age to just partially master (although he did only train between missions). Admittedly, with Rasen shuriken where Naruto surpassed the Fourth, he used his mass shadow clone training to speed things up, so fair enough. Plus he kind of cheated by using a shadow close to make it easier for him. But his training for Sage Mode was jsut too fast, no matter which way you look at it. Worse though, is when he sealed the Fox in the 'new seal' recently ... somehow, he just came up with a new seal on the spot and used it, or so it seemed. And even worse was how, straight afterwards, he used a technique like the Fourth's ... an extremely difficult technique which he just did on the spot.

If you think people's ideas that these manga suck are all right, then go ahead and explain it to me, because I think they're pretty awesome xD

Note: I posted this without regarding the last 5 or so posts because they appeared afterI wrote this and I cba to modify my post now.

Supernova
Staff

Script Team Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by HamsterPants Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:00 am

TL;DR Elfen Lied is a masterpiece. Anyone who isn't a child should watch the anime or read the manga, though I would personally recommend the anime.

In terms of everything else, it would take a very, very, very long time to explain. Because it's complicated.
HamsterPants
HamsterPants
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Illy Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Elfen Lied... No. Just no.

On a side note. Chobits.

I'm going to have to defend naruto and bleach on this one. Most stuff fails to captivate me long enough to finish it and seeing as how I'm still following those two is outstanding. You can't deny the attention to detail in the visuals, and narutos dialogue is always good. I do feel dissapointed at bleach because it drags on certain instances so long but there is this quality about all the different inventions the authors make up that wants you to keep reading just to find out what they'll come up with next.
Illy
Illy

Back to top Go down

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:23 pm

What's wrong with Elfen lied?

Also, it annyos me that so many people read Bleach and naruto but not One Piece and that more people read Bleach and Naruto than do One Piece ... they're just not as good!

Supernova
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Illy Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:26 pm

I'd have to be pretty shallow and have a go at One Pieces art style but otherwise I just don't find it as punchy as Naruto or Bleach. I'm not saying it's bad, I just couldn't get into it.

Also, I tried watching Elfen Lied and I couldn't listen to it. The voice acting made me wretch, it was like playing Baten Kaitos all over again, yet it wasn't nearly as fun.
Illy
Illy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:52 pm

I honestly hated Elfen Leid, even if I may have only seen 1 episode. Why? Because IT'S ECCHI. I DESPISE ECCHI. WITH A PASSION.
To me, someone who just enjoys just a good story, I'm not overly supportive (understatement) of any sort of mass gore plagued with a psychotic naked "human" brutally murdering anyone in her way. I will never understand why there are perverts in this world, but their existence I will look over because they don't directly affect me in any way, apart from the fact that they create hentai and ecchi horror anime. It means that when I browse shonen manga one day on a manga site by clicking on what I want, like Action, Psychological, Horror, Drama, Shonen, I come up with stuff like this. Which honestly infuriates me.

As for your comments, Supernova, I honestly agree with just about everything you said. What you said about Naruto with the fillers was spot on. Never...again...will I watch those fillers. But there were SOME which were reasonably good. The only ones I seriously recommend is the last filler arc before Shippuuden though, the one where Gaara appears. Gaara automatically makes it worth watching at that point because ever since the Sasuke Retrieval Arc, you know he's become an awesome character. As for Part 2...or Shippuden as the anime calls it, they really drag out the canon arcs. As Supernova said it's hard to skip the fillers this anime has as it's possible for all of them to become canon. The best fillers so far were probably the Three-Tailed arc but it does drag out the plot. Basically they're trying to make the anime last as long as possible without resorting to horrible fillers. Which is great and done far better than Bleach.

Speaking of Bleach, it is annoying when Kubo-san focuses so much on the action he wastes perfectly good space just to try and convey the emotion which should be the anime's job. Therefore, it's oftentimes when I read a chapter and I sigh saying "That's only gonna be a couple of minutes of screentime. More fillers, yay." with my voice drenched with sarcasm. The Bount Arc was at least attempting to be original but the Shuusuke Amagai arc? No thanks. However recently they have done better fillers, such as with the Zanpakutou arc. The canon is still better overall though. The beginning is probably the most memorable up until the end of the soul society arc as everything was new and interesting. After that though it disorientates slightly, and it becomes so long to reach the next plot point that it's that next piece of informtation that'll keep you watching. Other than that though, I don't have any complaints.

One Piece is great. No questions asked. I myself was skeptical when I saw the art style, seeing it as childish and not really worth reading and I already knew about the 4kids scenario. But all the reviews and high praise convinced me so I began reading. At the beginning it has pretty average manga style, nothing really set it from the crowd and for a shonen about pirates it seemed pretty normal, plot being revealed occasionally, variants on the Devil Fruit Powers often coming into play, new characters showing A LOT of characterization... But then it had that first epic moment, the moment which first stood out, which earned itself as a crowning moment of awesome on tv tropes.
(spoilers alert)
Nami, resigned to her past and her anger boiling at Arlong, begins stabbing the tattoo on her arm with a knife. That is until Luffy stops her and Nami, who up until that point had been bossy, greedy and manipulative and disregarding Luffy completely as someone whom she just uses to get money, begs him to help her. Luffy, who simply wanted Nami as his navigator and didn't give one iota of interest towards what had happened to her in the past, shouts out that he'll help her. And when you see the rest of the current crew casually sitting around and waiting for their captain, and they just begin to epicly walk towards Arlong's residence while Nami cries her thanks on the ground, you know shit's gonna go down. This was the point where watching/reading OP became an addiction for me. I spent nearly all of my Christmas holiday 2 years ago watching/reading them all.
(end spoilers)
And it just keeps getting better from there. The manga style changes too, so there's as much as possible crammed into a panel, showcasing the efficieny that Kubo-san lacks. But it doesn't make the action scenes any less awesome. The only problem I find with it is it's length. Even if it does have more info in one pane. Not one year has passed in the One Piece world since the story began and it's been in serialization for over 10. (of course thanks to a recent chapter there'll be a timeskip of 2 years. Anyone else think that a shoutout to Naruto?) But the thing is it's only halfway through the story. It'll be tough reading all the manga and watching all the anime, going through nearly 600 chapters and watching over 450 episodes. Watching either the dub or sub is fine doesn't make a difference in quality but if its dub, but MAKE SURE IT'S THE FUNIMATION DUB. If it's the 4kids dub...*shivers* They edited it so badly and extensively sometimes they could fit THREE episodes in the time for ONE.

Anyway, that's what I think regarding the top three. Oh, remembered another anime I've watched. Akikan. Funny.
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:06 pm

@ Illy: Fair enough. I read the manga, so I wouldn't know about that >_>

Kazaazz wrote:I honestly hated Elfen Leid, even if I may have only seen 1 episode. Why? Because IT'S ECCHI. I DESPISE ECCHI. WITH A PASSION.
To me, someone who just enjoys just a good story, I'm not overly supportive (understatement) of any sort of mass gore plagued with a psychotic naked "human" brutally murdering anyone in her way. I will never understand why there are perverts in this world, but their existence I will look over because they don't directly affect me in any way, apart from the fact that they create hentai and ecchi horror anime. It means that when I browse shonen manga one day on a manga site by clicking on what I want, like Action, Psychological, Horror, Drama, Shonen, I come up with stuff like this. Which honestly infuriates me.

... to each their own. The plot in Elfen Lied and the characters are really amazing. But then, it is pretty ecchi and pretty gory (I didn;t like seeing someone's guts spilling out onto a beach ... intestines aren't appealing to the eye).

And to be fair to Kubo, his style is effective if oyu read a lot of it at once.

Concerning One Piece, I liked it because I ... err ... have a minor pirate obsession :p But yeah, it got to non stop epic from at least chapter 100ish at the start of the Grand Line. It's so great to read every week because of how much there is and how great it is but catching up now is insane. I spent one holiday or other watching all the episodes from Alabasta (where i had watched that crappy dub up til) up to early Thriller Bark, skipping the filler just before that, then going on to the manga and catching up to where it was (Duval's appearance, I believe). I then later watched from episode 1 to end of Alabasta. Yeah ... I was hooked ;D

*ahem* Since this is a sort of recommendations thread ... I'd recommend Mx0 for a funny manga. It's only 99 chapters (or so) as well, so yeah.

I have teh feeling I was going to recommend somethign else, but I forget >.<

Supernova
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Illy Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:12 pm

[quote="Supernova]

And to be fair to Kubo, his style is effective if oyu read a lot of it at once.

[/quote]

I agree, which is why reading it in chapters is a pain. Each chapter goes sort of like: Establishing shot, multiple body shots. Enemy Gloats. Hero remains largely silent and vaguely alludes to an increase of power / laments their weakness. Enemy attacks. Enemy is repelled. Enemy is surprised. Hero explains somthing, sometimes a plot point but it's bleach so it's hard to tell. More talking. Somebody probably shouts bankai and hopefully next week we get to see it.

I would also recommend Akikan.
Illy
Illy

Back to top Go down

Post by HamsterPants Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Kazaazz wrote:I honestly hated Elfen Leid, even if I may have only seen 1 episode. Why? Because IT'S ECCHI. I DESPISE ECCHI. WITH A PASSION.
Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations 80105-2AB6ZV9
I would appreciate it if you would stop, because you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Your opinion is so childish, I think I'm gonna be sick...
HamsterPants
HamsterPants
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:04 am

So, what's Akikan about?
Yep, you have to tell me because I'm not looking it up ;D

Supernova
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:15 am

HamsterPants, I'm sorry for being so wrong but would you care to refute my argument?

Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations 79d04bf7-2974-4618-9ed3-cc725d802568

^ Funny pictures are a great substitute for actual content! Smile

And now: Akikan!
An almost campy parody of the magical girl concept, this is about Akikan "Empty cans", where certain soda cans turn into pretty girls if you drink them (Yes, really) , also requiring carbon dioxide and more of their own juice to survive, making it essentially their life force. Apparently they were originally made with two different materials (aluminuim and steel), and the government hilariously decides that the best way to decide which one to use to make everything economically efficient is to have the Akikan fight it out in a unprofessional tournament. So whenever they meet out on the street, they fight it out using powers based around their flavour. The main Akikan called Melon uses a projectile shaped like a melon which is in fact compressed carbon dioxide for instance.
The anime also shows off every sexual liking in history and (almost) every kind of sexual relationship. For instance a harem, indifferent female, lesbian, gay, oblivious hero, tsundere, and so on. But it seemlessly merges together in a way I thought imposssible. Sure there's only 12 episodes of it and I haven't read much of the manga, but it's worth it to be honest. Why? Because this anime sells by its moe and ecchi comedy.
I've said before yes, I dislike ecchi because of its general pervertedness. But when it comes to anime I could even start liking hentai if it's done well. Hell I could start liking anything. For some things it's just the entertainment value that matter and if that's pulled off, I don't care what it is. Course, this is variable to everyone.
Akikan is good for laughs and as a bonus an excellent way to kill 4 hours. If you know Chobits, it's that kind of funny and just as entertaining, if shorter.

Last edited by Kazaazz on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by HamsterPants Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:13 am

Kazaazz wrote:HamsterPants, I'm sorry for being so wrong but would you care to refute my argument?
There is no argument to refute. You're claiming to have a solid opinion on something that you clearly have no experience in, so that's why I'm asking you to stop, it doesn't make you look very smart and it causes me to die partly inside. lol

Kazaazz wrote:Funny pictures are a great substitute for actual content! Smile
Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations 210427-E6QQMH3
Believe me, I've got plenty to throw around. Especially Pokemon themed ones.
HamsterPants
HamsterPants
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Aki11 Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:32 am

@hamsterpants: sorry to butt in and all... But please try to be nice even when expressing your opinion. I'm not saying that I've watched elfen lied, (or that I'm a fan of naruto or bleach (because I'm not. The only manga of the big three I love is one pieceXD)) and I'm not here to diss; But respect what other people love and-- your opinion is not law. What you like may not be what others like, vice versa. So just because you don't like it, don't say it sucks, seriously. You've got interesting and solid viewpoints yes, but other people have their own. I'm pretty sure it was because you dissed naruto and bleach (in a pretty unpleasant way, I'd say) that invoked the "elfen lied sucks" discussion in the first place.

Bottom line:Be nice to people, and they'll be nice to you. And healthy discussion is fine, but try not to argue alright?
Aki11
Aki11
Staff

Animation Team Animation Team Leader Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Yup, we're not seeking out a high profile debate here so for an effective change of subject, you got any anime you particularly like Aki?

One sentence makes all the difference...
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by HamsterPants Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Aki11 wrote:So just because you don't like it, don't say it sucks, seriously.
Oh I completely agree with this.
I only dislike something if it sucks, but I never say that something sucks because I dislike it. Razz

As for everything else that you said, I really wasn't bringing my opinion into the equation, because I never even stated anything about Elfen Lied except that I thought it was a masterpiece. Other than that, I just wanted Kazaazz, someone who has only seen one episode, to refrain from being so harsh, and also, I was pointing out that his opinion had many false points in it. It was clear to me that he was misunderstanding a lot of things about the series. Obviously I reacted rather rudely, but that's because his statement put me in a bad mood... lol
HamsterPants
HamsterPants
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by FaisLittleWhiteRaven Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Honestly, I've never actually seen Elven Lied, read any Naruto or Bleach or watched either of their animes past the first few volumes so I'll just not go further into those two. (I was interested in them; though not as much as One Piece~ <3)

For anyone who hasn't heard of it, I'd recomend a series called 'The Slayers', which is a parody of Swords&Sorcery type fiction.
It follows the story of Lina Inverse, a super powerful 16 year old sorceress who travels around blowing up bandits just to earn enough money to feed her ridiculous apetite~
The OAVs and movies are almost entirely parodies, but the main series brings in a lot of darker and more series moments, giving the otherwise crazy show plot as well as some really awesome fight scenes~
There's also a fair ammount of romance in the series, but thankfully this rarely detracts from the battles or the plot (in fact the plot even uses this against Lina sometimes).
But yeah. I recomend The Slayers for it's plotlines, it's comedy, it's battles (the big ones anyway), and for those little specks of romance that do nothing to detract from the plot~ ...Though it's now old-fashioned art style might turn a few people off.
(Ps: I've only read a few books of the manga so I don't know how good they are... But the anime was very fun~ XD)

Another series I'd recomend (though many guys when they hear the title will probably throw books at me) is Princess Tutu,
It's a Shojo one so romance is a major part of the storyline but the music..!!!! *flys off in happyness*
Basically it's the story of a Duck... Who falls in love with a prince who has lost his heart and turns into a human girl. Yeah... Sounds pretty boring but they really play with a lot of the concepts... The second half of the story is such a turn around from the first you almost never see it coming in advance. Not to mention the true villian of the show; who, when you think about it, is a truly horrible evil person, is one of the fav characters of the fans because he's just that charming and fun to watch.
Anyway... I can't really say much about it without giving away spoilers, but if you don't mind seeing spoilers, watch this AMV.
The plot has to be seen to be believed as every episode is baced around the stories of many different ballet pieces (usually the theme of the episode) and still makes sense. The comedy is fun, and you will learn more about ballet in this show than you've ever known and not even realise it. Not to mention... This is the only show I know of that manages to make ballet hardcore.
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
Staff

Illustration Team Voice Team VA Critic! Anime/Manga discussion and recommendations Bg10

http://faislittlewhiteraven.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:28 pm

HamsterPants wrote: Oh I completely agree with this.
I only dislike something if it sucks, but I never say that something sucks because I dislike it. Razz

As for everything else that you said, I really wasn't bringing my opinion into the equation, because I never even stated anything about Elfen Lied except that I thought it was a masterpiece. Other than that, I just wanted Kazaazz, someone who has only seen one episode, to refrain from being so harsh, and also, I was pointing out that his opinion had many false points in it. It was clear to me that he was misunderstanding a lot of things about the series. Obviously I reacted rather rudely, but that's because his statement put me in a bad mood... lol
o_O First, I'm a girl. Look at the Nidoran, come on ----->>>>

Kay, now that that's cleared up, mind telling me why you think Elfen Lied is worth watching? ^_^ I'm open for a change of mind. After all it's what this thread is about right?

And FLWR...I may check out 'The Slayers' actually because I've never heard of it. And also because it has a female protagonist. All the anime I watch seem to have male protangonists lol. It'll be something I can spend my weekend doing XD.
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghostgirl21696 Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:00 pm

I've been watching 07 ghost because of a demand/request by my friend. I finally cracked and started watching it when she told me "It was awesome, funny, and full of Priesty goodness.

She was right. Laughing
Ghostgirl21696
Ghostgirl21696

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next