Pokémon Special Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Language

+10
HamsterPants
Kazaazz
Keyhala
Supernova
FaisLittleWhiteRaven
Minto-chan
Red_the_knight
Memieko
SaiTurtlesninjaNX
dabeatmaster123
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Japanese Language  - Page 2 Empty Re: Japanese Language

Post by Blackmagebard Tue May 31, 2011 3:40 pm

I've gotta say that would come off as incredibly (to use a horrible internet term that would probably describe myself) weeaboo-esque.

Using those monikers when they have never been used in the more familiar sources of the television OR the games would be kind of pointless. Moreover, to use those terms of respect when they're not used in English and have equivalents in the English language would be kind of redundant and would only say "we like the direct translation, viewer-sama." No offense dude, but I don't think that's a good idea. :S
Blackmagebard
Blackmagebard
Staff

Voice Team Japanese Language  - Page 2 Bg10

http://americannerd.thecomicseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Tue May 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Continuing on from Blackmagebeard's argument...

For the most part, when an anime is dubbed, honorifics are left out. As a matter of fact, only a couple of shows (like Ouran High School Host Club) use anything other than Sensei, and even then, it's usually very limited, and mosly in anime that rely heavily on japanese culture in order to get the jokes/plot (School-life/Slice-of-Life Stuff in particular).

On that note, I feel that I should also mention the swapping of last and first names that occurs between the East and West. In the West, the dubbed characters refer to each other as they would in the East, only translated into the English. (This is why Harima from School Rumble refers to Tenma as "Tsukamoto".)

Also, I'm pretty sure we're Pokemon Fans, not weeaboos. XD
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Script Team Voice Team Japanese Language  - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazaazz Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:40 am

Well, considering that Pokespe doesn't actually have buttloads of japanese culture in it, I think it's alright to translate the small amounts of honorifics. But not usually into Mr or Miss, just first names. Especially since I don't think there are going to be any continuity errors.

About the only worrisome thing with the language I can think of what we'll use to address Platinum come the D/P arc. The original is Ojou-sama, which is like mega-ultra super rich important young lady (usually, considering Ojou-san can be used in everyday conversation to refer to young girls in general.)

Viz/other translators tend to go with Little Miss, or Missy, but I still think this a tad informal. My suggestion would be the rather British term of Milady, sometimes spelt M'lady. We can't use Ma'am or Madam as that refers to older women, can't use Little Miss (although I guess we can), so I think M'lady is a more closer translation of what we need.

And of COURSE we've got to have the English translations of the attacks, places and names of people. ARE YOU MAD, RED?!
Let me do two examples, one with jap, one with translations. I'll put the stuff in bold.

"Oh, look Magmarashi, we've arrived in Guren Shima. Let's go challenge the Guren Gym, and Katsura, a master of Hono-Type Pokemon. Looks like we'll need a Mizu-type Pokemon, but I have my Showers so no problem! Showers use Mizu Geppo!"

"Oh, look Quilava, we've arrived at Cinnabar Island. Let's go challenge the Cinnabar Gym, and Blaine, a master of Fire-type Pokemon. Looks like we'll need a Water-type Pokemon, but I have my Vaporeon so no problem! Vaporeon use Water Gun!"

This a rare case where translating it pays off methinks
Kazaazz
Kazaazz

Forum Team Music Team VA Critic Japanese Language  - Page 2 Bg10

http://kazaazz.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_the_knight Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Kazaazz
And of COURSE we've got to have the English translations of the attacks, places and names of people. ARE YOU MAD, RED?!
Let me do two examples, one with jap, one with translations. I'll put the stuff in bold.

"Oh, look Magmarashi, we've arrived in Guren Shima. Let's go challenge the Guren Gym, and Katsura, a master of Hono-Type Pokemon. Looks like we'll need a Mizu-type Pokemon, but I have my Showers so no problem! Showers use Mizu Geppo!"

"Oh, look Quilava, we've arrived at Cinnabar Island. Let's go challenge the Cinnabar Gym, and Blaine, a master of Fire-type Pokemon. Looks like we'll need a Water-type Pokemon, but I have my Vaporeon so no problem! Vaporeon use Water Gun!"

...Um, I wasn't that mad or crazy. I was curious. I didn't mean Japanese always, just keep -san, -kun, or Shitenou. It's been in Singapore or somewhere else that's been translated to English.
Red_the_knight
Red_the_knight
Staff

Illustration Team Japanese Language  - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackmagebard Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 pm

TheBlack Glove wrote: Also, I'm pretty sure we're Pokemon Fans, not weeaboos. XD

I'm not implying that we are weeaboos; I'm merely suggesting that by including some of the Japanese language characteristics into the series, we may come off as seeming a tad TOO into the Japanese honorifics. It may not be as bad of a translation as "Take a look at this jelly donut! This jelly donut is great! There's nothing that cheers me up quite as much as a jelly donut!", but I think we could do without the japanese suffixes. Also,

The Black Glove wrote:Continuing on from Blackmagebeard's argument...

There is no beard in my name =P
Blackmagebard
Blackmagebard
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Black Glove Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Blackmagebard wrote:
TheBlack Glove wrote: Also, I'm pretty sure we're Pokemon Fans, not weeaboos. XD

I'm not implying that we are weeaboos; I'm merely suggesting...

That wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. I even put a smiley next to it to make it so.

I hit the "e" by mistake. Or I just looked over it so fast, it looked like beard. I forget.

To be fair, most wizards do tend to have beards- Dumbledore, Merlin, Tim...

Red_the_knight wrote:...Um, I wasn't that mad or crazy. I was curious. I didn't mean Japanese always, just keep -san, -kun, or Shitenou. It's been in Singapore or somewhere else that's been translated to English.
The only thing that SLIGHTLY tempts me is Shitenou, because it sounds cool. Like that attack thing I mentioned earlier. But I still say no. It's produced in the English Language, and adding honorifics doesn't make sense when the influence of japanese culture is fairly low.
The Black Glove
The Black Glove
Staff

Script Team Voice Team Japanese Language  - Page 2 Bg10

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackmagebard Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 pm

The Black Glove wrote:
Blackmagebard wrote:

I'm not implying that we are weeaboos; I'm merely suggesting...

That wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. I even put a smiley next to it to make it so.

I hit the "e" by mistake. Or I just looked over it so fast, it looked like beard. I forget.

To be fair, most wizards do tend to have beards- Dumbledore, Merlin, Tim...

My apologies, sir. I'm most accustomed to people who use emoticons as punctuation marks. Razz

Yet there are none who call me... Tim.
Blackmagebard
Blackmagebard
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2